SourceCred Manifesto v2

Lots of cool ideas here. That being said, they don’t connect.

First, this reads half like a blog post half like a pitch. It does not, however, read like a manifesto.

Second, there are many ideas, but they don’t flow together. The intro is vague and would only appeal to those who have already bought into a narrative around current problems with society. Not saying those narratives and/or problems aren’t valid, but V1.1 is much more approachable because it opens from a universal perspective: incentives.

Also, V1.1 is concise and opens with a strong and clear idea: “can we apply our new knowledge to build better games, not just for our entertainment, but our society? Can we make games for collaborating on open-source software, or for protecting the environment?” This is very compelling. There’s thousands of posts and projects talking about problems, but very few that see solutions. Tell me how we make things better and why this time it’s different.

Third, what is “cred” and how does “SourceCred” work aren’t really addressed. If I didn’t already know what SourceCred was I’d be totally lost. V1.1, however, helps with this. It starts to build a mental framework by using concepts we’re familiar with such as games and incentives. Then it can be shown how SourceCred extends games and game theory to create a\ fair and reasonable game for society that’s better than, and can compete with, our current version of capitalism. This would connect and make more sense:

• Problem (can we make games to improve our society)
  • Solution (yes and here’s how)
  • Result (a fairer world where cred flows to value creators like teachers and the environments).

So to put that all together, I’d recommend keeping the intro from V1.1 (incentives, games, and game theory), then explaining more how SourceCred creates meritocratic fair games for society (living reputation vs statis assets), then showing how great life could be if that were part of our world (better incentive alignment, resource allocation, and innovation). The Manifesto TL;DR could be that we will create better games for society so that we can live in a world that recognizes and rewards true value creation. Yay :slight_smile:

1 Like