By creating the Market you capture it! Manage, track, and trade all your community contribution tokens in one place

Possible Idea: a single point user interface and one stop exchange for reputation/contribution communities tokens (even those SourceCred is not necessarily affiliated with).

Down the road, if there was a hub specifically designed for individual users to interact with all or a large portion of the most prominent community tokens in one place, it would be very useful (maybe call it CredTracker or something less obvious​:blush:). I can envision this application being its own separate marketplace exchange for individual users that participate in reputation and contribution tracking communities. By pulling the user id from the contribution graph(s) of the SourceCred project(s) they are involved with into one place (not onto sperate sites); @sandpiper mentioned a Metacred in our discord discussion when I asked about it. This would be so an individual could track, trade, and swap their contribution token portfolio in one place. SourceCred seems to be at the forefront of capturing data from multiple applications to drill them down into Cred and therefore Grain. Why not make it a thing for individual users to interact with!

Another mechanism would need to be developed to interact with tokens that Sourcecred does not have a direct relationship with (e.g. reddit’s DONUT). A helpful means of transfer of other off chain tokens would be wrapping the assets that Sourcecred is not directly working with (e.g. possibly through XDAI/Honeyswap). CredTracker Featuring Honeyswap.

[1]#1. What is a wrapped token?

A wrapped token is an asset hosted on the Ethereum blockchain with a price that is the same as another underlying asset, even if it’s not on the same blockchain or on a blockchain at all.

A wrapped token is an ERC-20 token with a value identical to another asset that it represents, either through a smart contract or by being backed one-to-one with the underlying asset.

Wrapped Bitcoin, for instance, is a token worth the same as one BTC at any given moment, as a smart contract algorithm reproduces its price in real time and regulates the underlying fund with supply and demand information gleaned from user transactions. In exchange for their money, wrapped token users get an equivalent amount of value “wrapped up” in an asset that’s more easily mobilized by decentralized applications (DApps).

#2 How do wrapped tokens work?

Wrapped tokens are each backed by an equal amount of the underlying asset or currency — as well as a variety of organizational roles, and algorithmic checks and balances.

DApps can process wrapped token transactions much faster because they aren’t done across multiple blockchains. Users can transact confidently because wrapped tokens’ trustless nature is preserved by a framework that backs each one-to-one with the underlying assets.

The complex model is enough to provide DApp users native access to other cryptocurrencies without burdening both blockchains in the processing of any DApp transaction. One minimal gas fee on Ethereum is all it takes.

Governance over wrapped tokens is typically done by assigning necessary roles to organizations, predominantly custodians who hold underlying assets and mint (or burn) new wrapped tokens as necessary. Merchants provide a medium to wrapped token buyers, while users own the tokens.

Source: https://cointelegraph.com/explained/wrapped-crypto-tokens-explained

Also, if there was some sort of reporting tool for all the tokens you held that would be nice too. When I am using an application or protocal, I’m always impressed and thankful when I have some sort of user-friendly reporting tool dealing with my cryptocurrency. Farms and staking pools could be employed on the hub as well.

This was something I was thinking about and wondered if it was in the works already?

unpacking. a couple things:

• It’s interesting to imagine a dashboard for people who contribute value (maybe known colloquially as “workers”) across multiple communities to track their total aggregated “salaries.” I think this would be a useful tool for budgeting and planning. I can think of a few people at SourceCred who earn money for their contributions across multiple platforms, I wonder what they think about this.

• As it stands, Cred is nonfungible, and each individual’s Cred score is unique to each community they contribute to. Other people can speak better as to why this is a desirable trait. I think this confines your thought experiment to Grain only. Building on that, if Cred can be thought of as a reputation token (which is debated in this community), Grain definitely isn’t, so I don’t know where this leaves your desire for a “reputation” marketplace. This train of thought is what led me to my previous whim of a salary dashboard for cross-platform workers.

• MetaCred might look like something closer to what you’re talking about, but MetaCred is basically a seed of an idea right now, so it’s hard to know what that really looks like. Priorities wise, inter-project webs of Cred graphs is subordinate to intra-project Cred graphs for at least the medium term it seems. Most recently, during the second crpytoeconomics WG sessions we punted on thinking on MetaCred.

• What do you mean by “capturing the market”?

1 Like

That’s pretty interesting. I guess I need clarification on how salaries are made and paid. Correct me if I’m wrong but grain is minted from cred. From there I’m not sure the mechanism behind where peoples salaries are coming from with these contributions. GRAIN is inflationary and therefore has no value correct? For earning Honey, I understand how that works. Honey is set aside to be distributed in return for exposure/contributions/growth. Seems like there is always an underlying asset being distributed between grain percentages from projects.

I think the overall point is, for a lot of people coming into this space it’s a bit confusing. Different contribution rewards, different systems, people earning salaries. For an individual user, the information is funneling somewhere but its hard to manage and see where its all going. Reddit for example, has some subreddits that reward contributors in DONUTs but the overall impression is that other subreddit communities will probably adopt their own tokens and reward systems. If this trend continues, there will be a bunch of different communities with different tokens based around a similar idea (contribute meaningfully to the community and you earn money). How long these projects will actually run for is up in the air. Obviously, if its used solely for promotional purposes, it would be shorter. The point is for something like this to be really successful, it has to be clear for the people using it, and right now in my opinion, it’s not.

To get ahead of all this confusion, a hub could be created that doubles as a marketplace and portfolio manager. A place that tracks each account’s earnings, and a place where you could trade these community tokens if desired (possibly using HoneySwap). If Sourcecred continues to be successful, and other sites use these measures to track contributions or use it as a promotion, its easy to see how a ‘SourceHub’ or Credtracker’ would be a valuable tool for individual users. With a Sourcecred plugin or extension, sites could participate and funnel their data into this hub, I think it would capture a big portion of the market and grow source creds reputation and use case.

Here’s a good future example of why this would be beneficial. I want to buy advertising space on Reddit in the form of a banner. Right now that banner costs 100,000 DONUT and I want to use the contribution tokens I have earned across several platforms to do it. Some has been earned through projects using sourcecred, and I have other tokens earned on other platforms. All of this can cred can be wrapped into a usable asset that can be swapped or traded like other assets are. In my example, that underlying asset can then be swapped out into DONUT to pay for the banner.

Here are some questions I do not have the answer to Could data be pulled from these other platforms using a plugin or extension to formulate the users portfolio connected through a wallet? Could the data be wrapped up into an underlying asset that can be swapped or traded?

MetaGame is working towards tackling this alongside 1Hive, basically building “player profiles” that aggregate data and activity from across web3 into one interface. A part of this can be a network of personal / community tokens and tools to see who owns what tokens and how much, etc.

2 Likes

@META_DREAMER, looks like great minds think alike! Thanks for sharing this, I just got onto the META Game scene last night.