Cred Rebalancing: A Props-Oriented "CredSpective"

Appreciate the question. I support this change and am quite happy with it, for two reasons:

• I’m happy to see more cred flowing to people who aren’t developers. This has been a nominal goal of SourceCred from day zero, but for a long time we only had dev contributions. That’s clearly no longer the case, so it’s great to see the top two spots no longer occupied by @decentralion and me.

• The meta-point of treating the cred scores as fuzzy and volatile is important. We report cred scores as scalars, but those scalars collapse a whole world of both uncertainty and complex structure: i.e., cred really stands for something more than a one-dimensional number. Shaking things up, in a way that’s respectful of people’s income streams, helps reinforce this point.

If my goal were to maximize my short-term cred, then sure, I might have acted differently under the proposed system. But I’d also be acting pretty differently under the current system! (For instance, I also supported the last change to significantly reduce my grain distributions.) Even as a purely self-interested agent, I should really aim to maximize the value of my cred, which incorporates both how much cred I have and the success of the project (and thus the per-unit value of cred). It’s clear to me that helping the project succeed is much higher leverage, so I tend to just do what I think is best and let the cred flow where it may.

5 Likes