CredSperiment Progress Report

We’re launching phase 1 of the CredSperiment of the month. Here’s a report on how progress towards that goal is going.

SourceCred Discourse + GitHub Integration

We’ve made a lot of progress on getting Discourse and GitHub both working together in SourceCred. The official SourceCred prototypes now include:

In contrast to the Discourse sneak peek, the code for the Discourse plugin is now a lot more polished, and has been merged into master.

The presence of the combined cred represents significant technical progress towards launching the CredSperiment while having discourse from day 1. A lot of work went into refactoring SourceCred so it no longer assumes that all user identities come from GitHub.

Before the launch, there are a few more things to do:

• Add identity resolution, so we can tie together people’s GitHub and Discourse handles.
    • I anticipate this will cause a flow of cred from GitHub into Discourse
    • I have a plan on how to ship this; however, if we encounter unexpected difficulties, I may punt on it temporarily and do first payments for the CredSperiment by just adding together the cred for different identities
  • Decide exactly what the (cred->$) payout strategy is
    • I have an idea that one part of the payout will be based on the last week’s cred, and one part of the payout will be based on lifetime cred; more details to follow.
  • Tune the weights to better reflect our values and priorities
    • Most notably, I think that the current weights under-value Discourse activity, so I expect we will boost the Discourse weights

With about 2.5 weeks left in the month, I feel pretty good about the timeline.

5 Likes