Retroactive Initialization: Pre-requisite to distributing a lot more Grain

This is a key piece that this change is trying to address. Right now, cred is heavily biased towards activity on GitHub and Discourse, and misses a lot of “behind the scenes” contributions that are essential to the project’s health. By implementing the supernodes system (Supernodes: Moving past raw activity), we’ll have the ability to manually include or reference important but illegible contributions. Over time, I imagine there being “Cred Historians” who use this system to keep on improving the cred graph.

Cred isn’t really something that you “have” that can be “taken away”, similar to how a friend’s affection isn’t something that they are “taking away from me” if we part ways. Cred is a shared (and retroactively updating) social perception, not something you own.

That said, to make the psychology a bit easier, I expect that we’ll make the numbers go up. Right now there’s ~7000 cred across all contributors. I’m imagining giving important initiatives an average “cred bounty” of around 100, with the result that we would actually inflate cred quite a lot. So numerically, almost everyone’s cred will go up, not down.

This is exactly right. Grain is different from Cred! Unlike Cred, Grain is something that you own. Grain distributions never retroactively change. @burrrata, the only way your 357,532 ¤ is going anywhere is if you sell, transfer, or seed it.

Once we’ve done this cred re-initialization, we’ll have a more robust cred instance. At that point, we’ll start issuing substantially more Grain. However, I do not expect this will devalue the current Grain, because there’s still so much “head room” for issuing Grain to reflect SourceCred’s value. So far, at the $0.01 per Grain price, we’ve issued $60,000 worth of Grain. Since SourceCred’s actual value is much higher than that, we have plenty of room to issue more Grain.