RFC: change Initiatives plugin to be file-based instead of Discourse-based

Just own it. Earlier on the impression I got (from comments and the Cred weights) is that a lot of work was needed in regards to strategy, game design, and community engagement. Now it’s clear that the focus is on developers. That’s totally ok, but just make sure that you own it and communicate that clearly across all words and actions. People don’t mind if you’re transparent, but when projects (esp crypto/tech projects) try to be something they’re not (regardless of their intentions) people generally aren’t into it. If SourceCred is currently only accessible to developers, and you’re trying to recruit developers, I’d also focus on developer/open-source projects as the initial target market. This way you can recruit contributors while you also onboard new end-users. Win/win for all parties involved :slight_smile:

GitHub is an amazing tool, but it suffers from being biased towards developers which limits participation. Also, usually better to find (or create) a tool that fits your workflow vs fitting your workflow to the tools you have. This is a universal truth, but I’ve found that developers trying to stay on GitHub long after they should have graduated to other platforms is a common trend. That being said, if your target market for contributors and users is developers, particularly open source projects, then by all means use GitHub all day long! It’ll be great. Just be aware that if/when you expand to other markets you’ll have to improve UI/UX as well.

This was meant to be a general comment, not anything specific to SourceCred. Sorry if that wasn’t clear lol

Totally. But lots of alphas end up getting used far beyond their originally intended shelf life. It’s a slippery slope. That’s the point I was trying to make here.

Yeah 100%. Just don’t get attached to them or design around them. Tools should work for us, but we should not work for the tools (otherwise we become the tools lol)

I’d focus on developers and GitHub support. Doing one thing for one market and doing it really well will provide a foundation to expand to other markets/use-cases. It’s so easy to lose focus. Don’t lose focus. I’d love to see SourceCred become the absolute best in the world at the thing it does. Deep, then Wide.

LMAO reading through this thread as I comment and it looks like we’re on the same page! Totally agree that OSS is a great initial target market for SourceCred :slight_smile:

100% all the way. This. This. And This some more :slight_smile:

Yeah git is amazing. It’s honestly almost as cool as Bitcoin, but so underappreciated lol

This is blowing my mind right now :boom: In the original thread I was focused on the bus factor thing, but when put simply it’s a really powerful idea: fork Discourse. That would be so great, but then you’d have to figure out how to fork the user’s private data without compromising it, which seems non-trivial. Still, would be so cool to be able to fork and merge Discourse branches.

Yeah GitHub is great for reviewing stuff. Just saying that it’s not great for everything (like broader community engagement). Now, if the target market is developers anyways, then that’s not a problem which is totally ok. Actually solves a lot of problems all at once so that’s great.