Champions: lead the charge on Initiatives

[placeholder]

I think a wiki to explain this would make sense. Kicking that off here. Along with discussion.

References:

1 Like

So in About Champions and Heroes I’ve suggested the terms, but haven’t fully defined them. Asking for comments to fill it in further. Since then we’ve had some time to discuss, experiment and mull it over.

Eventual goal I imagine for this wiki, is to have a working definition and clear guidelines to get started as a Champion.

Also, I think this term should be community owned. I may be putting the idea forward, but I don’t want to be like an authority that decides what a Champion is. Don’t hesitate to push back on my thoughts or edit the wiki.

1 Like

As a step towards that working definition, I’ll try and list some properties as I see them.

Taking ownership of the full process

Realizing that selectively contributing to some parts (of for example an Initiative) means someone else will wind up having to bridge the gap. And that burden tends to fall on the same few maintainers / core team. And that those parts often include the less fun tasks.

Champions commit to taking on the full process, in large part to take that burden off of someone else.

Another important reason is, it decentralizes knowledge and implicit authority, which is vital to the success and sustainability of the project and community.

Being trusted as a leader

As a Champion, you’re in a leadership position. This intuitively becomes a matter of trust too.

Trust that you have the right skills to lead this effort. That you’ll act in community interest. That supporting you in your role as leader will bring results. And so on.

Some processes may help to gauge if that trust is there. Votes, mandates, or planning feedback rounds for instance. But at the end of the day, it’s a social dynamic that won’t be easily quantified. Ideally that’s something a Champion keeps in mind.

More coming soon™

2 Likes