Changing the CredSperiment weights

If you’d like to diff the full cred instance before and after the new weights, check out:

(In the future, we’ll have fancy cred analysis notebooks to dive into changes like this even more clearly.)

Overall, re-balancing the CredSperiment weights seems like a healthy thing for the community.

A few things to consider:

• The newly proposed weight changes simultaneously reduce Discourse weights while increasing GitHub weights. This creates a drastic shift in Cred. Seems like if we want to adjust the Cred weights we should either decrease the Discourse weights or increase the GitHub weights, but not both.
  • It would be nice if we integrated a creation and review process for Discourse Artifacts (similar to GitHub PRs and reviews). This would enhance the contributor experience/rewards while also improving contribution quality. It would also make opportunities to earn Cred from raw Discourse activity at parity with GitHub. As is, there’s many more opportunities to earn Cred form raw activity on GitHub.
  • Writing code and then submitting a PR on GitHub often takes more effort than creating Issues. The current and new configurations give Issues and PRs the same weight. Why is this?
  • In the past (and I think present) some contributors have been paid reliable salaries and provided a safety net of healthcare and stuff while also receiving Cred. As Cred is translating to Grain this creates a bonus payout on top of past/current salaries. We want to recognize and reward all contributions to the platform, and building out the MVP of SourceCred was an incredibly valuable and awesome thing. At the same time, there’s a different risk/reward profile for those who are able to contribute while being supported to do so vs those who contribute on their own with no guarantees of immediate rewards, basic life support, or future Cred values (as Cred is currently very volatile and retroactively updated). Now that people are getting serious about contributing to SourceCred, Cred is being retroactively updated to favor past contributions, and Cred is potentially going to be used for voting and/or Grain minting/boosting (which could result in further consolidation of Cred) it’s important to consider these dynamics.
  • The way the SouceCred system currently works there’s no sense of time. We can’t say that weights were like X, then Y, then Z. We just update the weights and recompute the entire system from scratch. This means that at any point Cred can change, sometimes drastically. This is part of the design so no surprise. Cred changes, Grain does not. That being said, the proposed change drastically alters contributor Cred. Personally I would go from 13.6% to 4.5%. That’s a 3X decrease. @s_ben’s contributions would be valued almost as much as @anon60584824. Is that an accurate representation of contributions, or is GitHub over-weighted? Looking at the weight changes overall, almost everyone’s Cred would go down except for a few developers. This is good because we want to encourage more developers to contribute. This is bad because part of the SourceCred culture is to value lots of contributions outside of development. The newly proposed weights skew highly towards development at the cost of other contributions. This recreates the value distribution biases that we’ve been complaining about in other projects for months on the forum lol
  • Currently there’s a binary distribution between platforms: code and non-code. This is mostly due to the infrastructure we’re using rather than cultural values. When we have Supernodes this will all be much easier (hopefully). Currently, however, GitHub is for work on the code while Discourse is a catch-all for everything else. This catch-all includes art, business development, documentation, protocol design discussions, fundraising and strategy discussions, community calls, Initiatives, Artifacts, and much more. We’re using Discourse to manage our project level operations, design and dogfood SourceCred mechanisms, and onboard new contributors. Seems important. Building the code for the protocol to work is also super important! We need to find a balance between the two.

I don’t have answers to all these things. TBH I’m still wrapping my head around how the SourceCred protocol works on a technical level and how that relates to Cred flows. As such, I’m not (yet) qualified to have a super strong opinions on how exactly weights should be configured. I do, however, have an intuition that the appropriate Cred weighting (at this time) is probably somewhere between the old version and the proposed new version. On top of that there’s some larger ideas here that are important to explore so that we can setup SourceCred for positive sum growth. Curious to hear what everyone else thinks as well as if this should/could be posted to the public forum :slight_smile:

First, I want to apologize that the post I shared was not clearer. The post I shared was meant to highlight some points that needed further thought and exploration. It was not at all meant to be a definitive statement.

Second, I by no mean intended to diminish the importance of your contributions. I’m not super active on the GitHub front so I’m not aware of everything going on in that domain. I saw the GitHub action repo (which is super cool btw!), but not much else. This led me to believe that GitHub was overly weighted vs other contributions. That’s the only point I was trying to make. There was no judgement about the quality or value of contributions, but that it seemed like a single contribution onGitHub was being valued more than ongoing contributions on Discourse (which I now know is inaccurate).

Third, sorry again for the confusion. I really value all your contributions. The entire goal of the post was to highlight how it’s important to make the Cred weights such that contributors (such as yourself!) are recognized and rewarded, but it seemed like the newly proposed Cred weights might consolidate Cred. There’s lots of people contributing a lot of value to the project in a lot of ways and it’s really important that we setup SourceCred to recognize and reward all those contributions. This way everyone feels valued and appreciated and we can create value together in a positive sum game :slight_smile:

1 Like

You raise some interesting questions @burrrata. As I said on the Spontanious Community Call (thx for the great writeup on that btw!), I’m OK with the new weights. They make sense to me, even if my share has gone down (for now).

I need to think more on some of these issues, but just thought I’d share my 50,000 ft view of some things:

1. Cred scores =! lifetime value contributed, yet. While that’s the basic goal, I sense that they are being used as a lever to adjust incentives until Incentives and Boosting are live (@decentralion correct me if I’m wrong). This was why when @burrrata joined the project and quickly had more cred than me (even though I’d been contributing for months), I was a little surprised but OK with it. I didn’t think @burrrata had already generated more value than me. I thought they were being “boosted” to incentivize them. Which it appears to have done:) Similarly it feels like like @anon60584824 may be being boosted? Or not, I also only saw the widget and didn’t realize all the other work on containers, etc. This is just a a problem generally we’ll see again. It’s impossible for any one person, even the project lead, to have visibility into everything, especially as the project grows. I think that for now, we do need a TBD (Temporary Benevolent Dictator) that can make decisions quickly and steer the plane as it’s being assembled as it flies though a mountain pass in a storm. I’m also keen on seeing incentives and boosting implemented so we can start using those to steer. I will also point out that, since I’m the only one that has sold Grain (~$3.5k worth (plus $2k for an earlier contract with @protocol to write an article)), I have realized infinity more dollars than any other contributor. It’s important to realize that there is non-zero counterpary risk here, dependent on a number of factors outside of our control. I absolutely trust all parties are acting in good faith here, and believe Grain will be valuable (probably more than the price I’m selling at!), but my experience in VC-backed startups and crypto have taught me that counterparty risk is a deep, complex issue, and I factor that into my decisions.
  2. Decentralized governance is hard. We’re exploring a lot of new territory here. As I’ve said before, we’re grappling with some big, unsolved issues in decentralized governance. While I’m happy we’re focusing on this, and glad we’re not just going the easier route of relying on a typical startup model, I worry about scope. Are we going to reinvent reputation systems, solve the open source funding problem and solve decentralized governance? Probably not all three. However, I think it’s very valuable to wrestle with these fundamental issues as we dogfood, as they will inevitably arise again and again in other projects that adopt SourceCred. It will also inform the design of incentives and boosting (key to making this work at a project level and acrue value to Grain), and help us come up with an alternative “story”/model to present to investors, who might have other ideas anyway btw; it’s not 2017 anymore, investment in the space has dwindled somewhat and drifted towards traditional equity models, and if we want to shop a new token model, it had better be solid. I think we are very fortunate to have @protocol as a seed investor/partner here. They’ve given us a lot of trust and freedom to experiment with new models, and seem value aligned. But as we start raising capital from other investors, we should be ready for hard questions, negotiation and compromise.

So @mzargham built a python implementation early on in sourcecred/research, which he used when exploring designs. However I believe it’s fallen out of sync with the main repo, which has seen big changes.

Python is the only language I’m half fluent in actually, and have had lots of ideas for tinkering with the scores. Just need to find that time…

Yeah…Discourse may be overvalued except that we’re kind of relying on it for all non-code work. Until we have incentives, boosting, and other platforms for strategy, biz dev, documentation, etc. etc. etc., it’s difficult to value it. We also want to be compelling to developers, who are scarce…Don’t have strong opinions, just wanted to input some info into the process.

The core value prop of SourceCred is that it recognizes and rewards contributions. That involves creating a contribution graph that gives contributors reputation that can then be correlated to rewards and potentially governance. Traditionally problems like funding, governance, and reputation are separated and that’s part of the reason why they’re so hard to solve: they’re not actually completely separate things. They all connect to each other. SourceCred acknowledges the interdependence of things and connects them in a way that is incentive aligned for positive sum value creation.

While we’re still in the CredSperiment, however, it’s important that TBD (Temporary Benevolent Dictator) helps to direct and organize things.

If we choose to deploy a bonding curve to handle our token sales there will be no negotiations, only discussions and presentations to share the value prop of the protocol :slight_smile:

So cool! I had no idea this was a thing. Created an Initiative for this as part of the Retroactive Cred Activation.

1 Like

Thanks for pushing back @burrrata :slight_smile: You make a good point about the interdependence of funding, governance, and reputation. What excites me most is that SourceCred is exploring new territory in the multidimensional “solution space” here. We should not confine ourselves along traditional lines prematurely.

1 Like

SourceCred works really well IMO within a single repo, but once you merge contributions across even repos, using the same programming language, the scores lose meaning. Activity is just different in nature. Therefore we need a higher level “incentives compiler” to value across projects. For now, that is done by @decentralion via manual mode (manually changing weights for contributions).

Have you seen @mzargham’s article on pagerank in SourceCred?

I don’t pretend to understand how the algorithm works on a deep level, but this was a good primer for me.

Apologies for the unfair comparison earlier. Boosting is just the general term we’ve been using for a long time for valuing contributions and/or contributors more in the graph though. It’s not intended to be a negative term (exactly the opposite! we boost things that are undervalued!). I don’t think we should change the term boosting. Just be more careful in language generally.

One use of boosting that we’ve discussed is for ‘recruitment’, because there’s currently no way of paying someone a real wage from the get go, without paying them a salary outside of the system (which could skew incentives). Building up enough cred to pay the bills currently could take longer than is feasible for many developers. Boosting would be a way for people to express, with skin in the game, that they want to bet on the future value of a contributor. They will actually get a share of that contributor’s cred too, so the booster is taking on risk and reward. This is only at the concept stage for now, but could be a good way to get contributors we couldn’t otherwise.

Glad to have you aboard!

I think SourceCred can (and will) mean many things to many people. A working reputation system is very powerful. Personally what excites me most is the money aspect. Being able to make a living working on open source. But it’s still an experiment that can go in many directions.

For more on boosting, the Initiative for it is a good overview.

One of the features that I think will make comparing activity across repos feasible.

If you want to learn more about Boosting I recommend the Boosting: a prediction market on ideas thread. FTR, however, it’s still in the design phase and the mechanisms to make it possible have not yet been created. The Cred Boosting Initiative should have the most recent status and dependencies to make Boosting a reality.

Also, for a high level overview of SourceCred the SourceCred in 5 minutes thread is a great place to start :slight_smile:

Indeed, those messy humans…when I wrote my article on SourceCred and DAOs, I was depressed how intractable many of these problems are. Not really any working solutions yet, though I think SourceCred approach is starting to work already:)

Have you seen the podcast interview with @mzargham? Recored a while ago but we haven’t put it out on social media yet. Goes into some of these issues.

Thanks everyone for participating in this discussion. On a meta-level, I’m glad to see this conversation happening, uncomfortable parts and all. The difficulty around deciding what “fair” is for a system like this, and negotiating changes to it in a way that lets people still feel respected, enfranchised, and heard, is one of the biggest challenges for us (and for anyone who uses SourceCred). As @anon60584824 mentioned, the “human bits” of deploying a system like SourceCred are what makes it really challenging.

I really appreciate that in this thread, everyone has made a clear effort to respect and care for “the human bits” of other SourceCred contributors: working to understand others’ perspectives and intentions with good faith, hearing when feelings have been hurt and apologizing, and generally being supportive and honest with each other. Our ability to thrive is going to depend on our ability to support each other in these ways, just as much as it will depend on our ability to implement increasingly clever algorithms.

With that said: I think a lot of the challenges that have been surfaced in this thread reflect the immaturity of the SourceCred algorithm and parameter system. The promise of SourceCred’s graph-based approach is that we can mint cred at the level of things we really care about – goals like deployability (as supported by having a docker container and GitHub actions) or documentation (as supported by having a bevy of Getting Started guides on the Discourse). Once we have a supernode that represents the high level goal, we can tune the cred flow for the high level goal, and that will propagate out to everyone who worked on it.

However, we haven’t finished building the system that lets us do this. @Beanow is hard at work on the initiatives plugin, and afterwards we need to refactor the Graph to give us better APIs for controlling cred minting. It will probably be somewhere between “weeks” and “two months” before the more sophisticated, goal-based cred minting process is online.

While we’re waiting for that better system, we have an extremely crude alpha version, which mints cred solely on the amount and type of activity that SourceCred observes. As such, we mint cred for every Discourse post, for every GitHub pull request, and so forth. We can tune the cred minting (and thus the relative cred weights) by changing those overall weights.

This is a really crude system, kind of like hitting the cred distribution with a cudgel. Any weight we set for Discourse posts will either be too low for super in-depth guides and detailed discussion of the system, or too high for a placeholder post retroactively initializing an initiative. Any weight we set for GitHub pulls will either be too low for an involved refactor which increases Discourse performance, or it will be too high for a tiny PR to remove a deprecated file.

Ideally, we would already have next-gen system online, and I wouldn’t need to make crude and contentious changes to the weights. But, we’re not there yet, and I have an ongoing responsibility to tune the system to try to accomplish a few goals:

1. Have the overall cred do a reasonable job of representing the value that all contributors have been providing
  2. Have the incremental cred create reasonable incentives for future work, so that as people are implicitly guided by the scores, they’re also contributing healthily to the community

When I first turned on the system, we had more than a year of GitHub contribution history, and very little activity on the Discourse. When I gave the system what I considered “reasonable weights”, it responded by giving almost all of the cred to myself and @wchargin, due to our very long history of code contributions. However, I felt it was important to cultivate the nascent Discourse community, and give meaningful cred to people who had started contributing in non-code ways.

So I deliberately chose weights that were unreasonable: a Discourse thread had 8x more weight than a GitHub pull request; a Discourse post had 32x more weight than a GitHub comment. Looked at directly, these weights didn’t really make sense. However, choosing these weights made for the cred distribution I felt was healthiest for the project at the time. I don’t regret setting the weights this way, but I should have anticipated and more clearly communicated that they would need to once Discourse activity levels approached our GitHub activity levels.

Now, several months later, we have a thriving Discourse community that is accomplishing a ton: exploring and explaining how SourceCred works, coming up with norms and patterns for our community, dog-fooding new features like Artifacts and Initiatives. This is great! But it also means that, because I chose unbalanced weights earlier, our overall cred is becoming very unbalanced. We’ve reached the point where the cred earned from a single week focused on Discourse can outpace the cred earned from several months of work on GitHub.

While we are still working with a set of crude levers to tune the cred, I still need to use those levers to do the best I can to keep the overall system in alignment. In this case, this means a change to make the Discourse and GitHub weights more consistent. If we had the tools to do so, I’d prefer to change the weights prospectively, not retroactively, and “stand by” our past weights (perhaps up to the most recent week or two). Unfortunately, we just don’t have that capability yet–and the result is a fairly disruptive change to cred.

The good news is, just as we can retro-actively update the cred now, we will retroactively update the cred with the new tools we develop in the coming months. Therefore, you can think of this current cred distribution as a temporary “working copy” that we’re going to keep improving. And the way Grain distribution works always tries to keep alignment between the most recent Cred and the lifetime Grain flows; therefore, people with too little cred right now will be “made whole” once we launch the improved system.

We’ll also launch a new UI which allows exploring cred at the level of initiatives, artifacts, and other supernodes. So rather than SourceCred explaining cred in terms of raw activity, like so:

It will be able to communicate my cred in terms of specific initiatives or artifacts I’m connected to (like setting up the core graph module and algorithm, or my leadership roles within the project as a whole). I think that will help these discussion a lot, by making it easy to see why other people have Cred, in terms of the specific initiatives and artifacts they supported.

This won’t be a perfect system either, and we’ll keep on having friction as we work on SourceCred. But I hope by improving the algorithm, we we’ll be able to make more intentional changes to the system that won’t be as frustrating or lead to so much churn in the cred.

In the mean time, we’re still very much in CredSperiment mode, so we need to accept there will be some turbulence in deploying our still-experimental and alpha quality system. :slight_smile: Thanks for being along for this ride, y’all!

3 Likes

This thread has been a great learning experience, but I don’t see a clear consensus on the actual CredSperiment weight changes. It’s important that we value all types of contributions and create a welcoming and rewarding environment for contributors. To achieve this I suggest either decreasing the Discourse weights or increasing the GitHub weights, but not both.

Took me a while to pitch in on this thread, but have been reading and want to briefly add some of my thoughts.

The human aspect

I’m agreeing on both major points here. We need to be careful in our language, and acknowledge that settling on a set of values is a subjective human process.

My feeling is the last part is making it’s way into the system design for a while now. Perhaps it’s an idea to start building recommendations / guidelines on how to have these discussions in a constructive way.

As an example: I would recommend entirely avoiding using people’s total cred scores in a value discussion. Instead try to answer the question “what do we care about as a community?” and when bringing in examples, use concrete examples. Such as “This PR” or “This Initiative”. While still being mindful that concrete work has people working on it too.

I’ve got a couple more thoughts on this, but feel like this deserves it’s own thread :blush:

About the suggested weight change

As @decentralion explained well. The activity based minting of cred is flawed. So we won’t solve every problem raised here, without moving away from this system.

Overall I think the suggested change is OK, with one main comment. And from my experience perhaps even conservative.

My value system

My largest concern for the weights is inclusion.

Of “insiders” vs “outsiders”:

With the new weights, an “I’m new and have a question” topic would be valued as much as a PR from someone who’s familiar with the project. :white_check_mark: seems inclusive to me.

Of “techies” vs “non-techies”:

The previous weights were very poor for developers. And I’ll expand on that. With the new weights, it’s good enough, though maybe conservative. :white_check_mark: And I’m happy with that. It will prevent gaming PRs and we should use supernodes to make up the difference.

Some back of the envelope scribbles

When I think about writing detailed topics, like About Champions and Heroes. This would take me about 2 days. That includes watching the reference video, fleshing the idea out on a notebook, sleeping on it, discussing the term on discord, drafting the topic, getting images, finalizing the post, etc. (Although granted, I’m a developer so doing this every day would drive me nuts :laughing:)

On the other hand it’s taken me roughly from October 20th, till December 9th to implement Discourse mirror revision. With some back of the envelope math, that’s 50 days for 18 PRs. Making about 2-3 days per PR on average. And I’m certain the Initiative system will have a slower rate than that.

For deeper context of what this is worth: Champions is still a concept that isn’t fully defined and explained, but has been a useful metaphor. While just 1 of the 18 PRs includes #1431 which has made it possible for anyone to use SC on any public Discourse instance, no longer needing API keys to do so.

So my hunch would be, a good PR is more expensive to create than a good forum topic. Even though my skills specialize on the PRs.

In the before snapshot cred, I have 859 Cred. Which is approximately 70% Discourse, 30% GitHub.
In the after snapshot cred, I have 1068 Cred. Which is approximately 21% Discourse, 79% GitHub.

Viability of developing

Obviously the above approximation is really flawed. But it’s close enough to support what I’m getting at next.

In my experience current weights do not make development viable. When a topic receives 8x more cred than a PR and takes me about a day less to work on, there’s no incentive for me to write PRs.

Or to invert that, I would need to put in an extra day of work, and would be rewarded with 12.5% of what I would have gotten for a topic.

The suggested weight change doesn’t fully close the gap from my heuristics / intuition. But I think it greatly improves inclusion of developers.

Issues should perhaps be 1x

1. In the time I’ve been with SourceCred, I’ve rarely put as much effort into an Issue as I have put into Topics. But Issues are most definitely worth less than a PR.

2. Using Discourse for many situations is preferred over issues in our community, for visibility and inclusion.

Conversely pull request reviews are really valuable. So 2x for them makes sense to me.

The counter argument I could make for a 2x issue weight is: to incentivize new people to give feedback and bug reports.
(Assuming our existing developers won’t game this by creating an issue for every PR they submit and fixing it immediately after to pad their scores)

Concluding

• :+1: overall in favor of the change.
  • Consider a 1x weight for issues.
  • Let’s further discuss the human aspect and create guidelines.
3 Likes

This particular point I think is interesting to touch on too.

Right now, we have one bridge between GitHub and Discourse Cred. Which is through Identities. Which I mentioned a bit here: Add identity for vsoch by Beanow · Pull Request #9 · sourcecred/cred · GitHub

I’m working on another major way to bridge GitHub and Discourse Cred. With Unified reference detection.

With this system in place, it will be much easier to flow cred directly between nodes and across the different environments. So posts can link to issues, can link to PRs, can link to topics, can link to users, …

I’m now going to reply to a lot of specific points that were brought up in the thread.

On reviewing artifacts

I agree; I want to extend review culture and workflows from code contributions to all major contributions to SourceCred, including artifacts and documentation. Moving the source of truth for artifacts into source control in GitHub would make a lot of sense. Watch this space.

On the weight for issues vs pull requests

Y’all are right, it doesn’t make sense for the weights to be the same. I propose new weights at the bottom.

On contributors earning salaries

Yep, having sources of income and security external to the project make a big difference for contributors, especially in this immature stage of the project. The goal of SourceCred is to recognize and reward people fairly for the value of their contributions. In the case where people are earning salaries for working on SourceCred, I think it makes sense for the companies paying their salaries to receive a portion of their Cred; this makes sense because the entity paying the salary is helping to enable the work. This will also make SourceCred easier to adopt in open-source projects where corporate sponsorship is happening, make it easier for employees to contribute to SourceCred, and enable more SourceCred contributors to have diversified economic support. I’m planning a fuller post on this subject soon, please hold future discussion of this point for that post.

On time-scoped weights

Our inability to have time-scoped weights is definitely a bug and not a feature. What I care about most in this change is the way it changes the future incentives (i.e. we need more reward for developers), not the way it changes the past history. We should develop the ability to change weights in a time-scoped way, it will be a valuable tool in our toolbox going forward. (To do this, we need more developers :wink: ).

On solving multiple problems at once

I quite agree with this. I think that handling funding, governance, reputation, and rewards together, we are more likely to create a viable, functioning system than if we look at just one part in isolation.

Evaluating contributions, not contributors

Thanks for this ask, @anon60584824. I think one thing that’s really clear from this discussion (as a few others have mentioned, too) is that we need to develop clear guidelines around how to have these discussions. One of these guidelines will be: focus on the discussion on valuing contributions, not the contributors.

This will also mean making changes to the UI. Right now the UI strongly guides you to focus on the impact on contributors’ cred totals, because that is the salient information in the UI. I think we should change it to show things like:

• Which initiatives and artifacts generated the most cred (this week / all time)?
  • Which contributions generated the most cred this week?
  • Which types of contributions generated the most cred this week?

Having the UI show this information will guide us all away from focusing on the (zero-sum) game of who has the most relative cred, and towards the (positive sum) game of aligning on what kinds of contributions we want to reward and recognize.

On making development viable

@Beanow, thanks for explaining these dynamics; this has been on my mind for several weeks, and is a big part of the motivation for these changes.

Right now, so much in SourceCred is blocked on development. For example, just things that came up in this discussion:

• the supernode system, so we can move away from activity cred minting
  • time-scoped weights, so we can make less disruptive changes
  • a new UI that enables discussions focused on valuing contributions and not contributors

We need to ensure that development activity is rewarded, because as a community we have a hard dependency on developing more tools.

2 Likes

I’m going to come up with a new weight change proposal based on the feedback on this thread. Concurrently, I’m going to take a stab at prototyping a new UI which follows the guidelines we’re coming up with to focus on evaluating contributions and not contributors.

If I can prototype that UI fast (i.e. by tomorrow night) then I’ll post the weight proposal with the prototype UI. If not, I’ll just use the existing UI.

The CredSperiment payout for last week will be delayed until the new weights merge.

Based on the feedback here, I’ve come up with a new set of weights:

Node Type Old Weight New Weight
Discourse Topic 8x 8x
Discourse Post 2x 2x
GitHub Pull Request 1x 16x
GitHub Issue 1x 4x
GitHub Comment 1/16x 1x
GitHub Review 1x 8x

These new weights incorporate two major points of feedback:

• It feels cleaner to leave Discourse weights as they are, and only boost GitHub weights
  • GitHub PRs should be valued more highly than issues

I also gave a relative boost to reviews, as code review is very important.

I’ve also taken a stab at my suggestion of changing the lens, by building a “prototype UI” that analyzes the weights through the lens of seeing what contributions we value, instead of the lens of which people gain cred. The results were illuminating.

Here’s a set of four bar charts showing the cred-by-activity-type under the old weights (left) and the new weights (right). It also shows the total cred across all time (top) and just the cred for the last full week (bottom).

Here are the things that really stand out to me:

• Under the old weights, all GitHub activity got less than 5% of the recent cred. This is crazily low given how important development is to the project right now
  • Under the new weights, GitHub activity gets 20% of the recent cred. This still feels really low to me, and suggests we might need still higher weights on GitHub
  • Under the new weights, GitHub activity has grown to about 75% of the total cred. This makes sense to me, because the GitHub history has been going on much longer, and is disproportionately important.

I propose that for now, we focus on getting the “latest cred” totals right first. The reason is this puts us on a tighter feedback loop: each week we have a pretty clear memory of what happened in the week, and how much we value it, so we can more easily come to agreement on what cred “makes sense”. Once we’ve gotten good at latest cred, we can orient on the harder problem of all time cred.

Looking at it through this lens, we still have room for improvement – rewarding development activity with only 20% of the latest cred is too low, especially considering how blocked we are on development. However, since 20% is much more reasonable than 5%, this weights change looks like an improvement.

Acting as TBD, I’m going to merge the new weights, and distribute corresponding payouts, so we can keep to our normal payout schedule (+/- 12 hours). However, I’m happy for this discussion to keep going. The CredSperiment is… an experiment! And we can change the weights every week if we want to. (Eventually we will settle down and Cred will become more stable, but that’s still a while out.)

Of particular note–as we improve the underlying infrastructure (i.e. move away from activity cred), we’ll get ever more powerful tools for configuring SourceCred in a way that rewards the contributions that we need and appreciate the most.

Thanks to @wchargin, who made major contributions towards enabling cred analysis notebooks. The data analysis in this post was done in a prototype cred analysis notebook. :partying_face:

3 Likes

@decentralion Very interesting! I’m eager to try this visualization out.

One thing I do want to point out is that we should be careful using just one week as our benchmark. Because these values are highly influenced by activity, and activity is unpredictable and seasonal. (Interested what @mzargham’s thoughts on this are)

Most of my PRs don’t happen at a regular 2-3 day intervals. They happen in bursts. A big reason why I didn’t do much on GitHub the last weeks was because of the holidays. Being with the family I could sneak in some forum posts, but didn’t have much opportunity to sit down for a focused developing session.