SourceCred User Guides

Overall this sounds good.

The problem is that lots of the mechanisms are still evolving. For example: Initiatives. Initially Initiatives were just a way to organize information for people to self select and opt-in to contributing value in ways that aren’t measured by raw activity. Now we’re talking about a review culture where initiatives might be designed, approved, executed, reviewed, and finalized. This is very different than just creating a task and giving it a good try! Then there’s also the format of Initiatives: how do you go from a brainstorm to an Initiative, and then how do you add that Initiative as a contribution to an Artifact? In a review culture who has the authority on this and how are decisions made? There’s lots of moving pieces. TBH these guides can’t be finished until the CredSperiment is finished. Until then, just like the CredSperiment is a train laying the tracks as it goes, user guides and documentation is a constant WIP.

When I originally created this Initiative it was based on documenting SourceCred as we know it today. In the last few weeks, however, there’s been a big push to move away from raw activity and towards Supernodes: Moving past raw activity. As a result, I dunno if we’re ready for SourceCred user guides anymore. Most of the back-end code for the SourceCred mechanisms are still in the design phase and haven’t even been built yet. In addition, while we’re currently using the front-end of GitHub and Discourse we’re going to start SourceCred UI Design and Development, perhaps sooner than later. This all translates to lots of changes in the near future.

Curious to hear what you think about all this, but my impression is that we will have higher returns on effort if we wait until the dust settles a bit rather than trying to define things that are still in the brainstorming phase.

1 Like