Discourse Upgrades

Personally I’m comfortable with any tool to build websites as well as building them from scratch. So generally I find refitting blogging and forum software as a CMS to be more trouble than it’s worth.

However, that’s for me. I’m not going to be Championing the website. So I would suggest the tools which make the most sense for the people maintaining it. Something like Hugo / Jekyll is nice for GitHub pages based websites. But Discourse would make sense too, especially when the intention is to reorganize the forum to the point it’s a great entry point for new folks to get started.

TL;DR = go for it :+1:

Having a look at the screenshot, I’m not a fan TBH. I think it highlights the existing top 6 contributors, making it not very inviting for new people. Having some sort of up-to-date graph we can embed in different places would be neat (sounds like a job for widgets :smiley:), but I would use something else as the forum banner.

I was thinking this too. What would be great is if the visualization A) showed all the Cred scores, not just the top few, and B) if it didn’t show the names. This way it would be a live living snapshot of the CredSperiment, but everyone would be represented. I think that would be very fun :slight_smile:

IMO the forum banner takes up too much space. If it only showed on the landing page it would be one thing, but currently it shows up with every thread I read.

There’s a lot of different banner plugins so I’ll keep experimenting to find one that makes us happy :slight_smile:

Could be interesting - adding here as a note to revisit

Apparently the about.json does not exist? Might be a custom plugin that we need to install the hard way

Lots of great tips on how to build your own Discourse theme from scratch (not just using plugins)