DONUTS: a case study in tokenized incentives

Sup Eth/Maker_Man! I’m a little disappointed you’re not @Cred_Man, but still glad to have you :stuck_out_tongue: If you opt in, you’ll start getting some Grain (redeemable for DAI (manually, no Uniswap, yet)). See this announcement on our Discord for deets.

I really like the simplicity and elegance of this. Easy for all participants to understand, which helps with gaming.

This assumes an absolute threshold, not a relative one, right? The threshold could be something like, 30% of the available voting power, which can fluctuate.

Would definitely be curious to see the algorithm. I assume they’re keeping the contribution scores secret, to avoid gaming. In the $MOONS distribution proposal that went up the other day, it says, “You can create a CSV with alternative contribution scores or propose changes to the algorithm used to calculate them from karma (as long as the changes can be implemented easily).” But do you know if they provide raw upvote/downvote, karma data to start with?

Re: what SourceCred is doing, as far as monetary policty (e.g. how much Grain is released each week), for now @decentralion, our TBD (Temporary Benevolent Dictator), basically determines this themselves, with input from the community. We have plans to progressively decentralize this, but have only theorized so far about how that might look. E.g., is Grain distributed in proportion to Cred created in a given week (i.e. as a proxy for work done)? Is Grain distributed by how much is invested via boosting (on roadmap for later this year)? Is it done in order to keep a prudent reserve and smooth out volatility for contributors? All of the above? Lots of open questions and ideas. Following projects like DONUTs closely in part to learn from real word outcomes.

Using min(CONTRIB, DONUT) to vote on issuance, as done for the recent DONUT halvening, seems like a promising solution. The trick, of course, is balancing the interests of contributors and investors. Or, on a macro scale, capitol and labor. I like the simplicity of having a single number. Semi-regular voting on Cred/Grain issuance could be a fair, efficient way for these two parties to negotiate and perform “price discovery”.

Flowing Cred and Grain to dependencies is part of SourceCred’s long-term vision. E.g. in the upcoming beta release, the default is that communities using SourceCred will by default flow 5% of their Cred and Grain to SourceCred. SourceCred is likewise looking to start flowing Cred and Grain to its dependencies, including Discourse, which is OSS.

As far as being tightly coupled with Reddit, that makes me a little nervous…Seems like Reddit could pull the plug on this at any time, for example if legal implications get too onerous for them. In which case, subreddits have the ERC-20 tokens (very valuable), but lack all the infrastructure to, for instance change the banner ad, charge advertisers, etc. Reddit founders seems into the idea of ‘self sovereign communities’, and I belive them. Just don’t trust shareholders of large centralized platforms generally…path to sovereignty is long.

Benford’s law looks very interesting! Will have to check out doc.

If you ever get a decent $DONUT budget, might know a guy;) He’s pretty busy, but analyzing Reddit is his hobby, so might be swayed.

3 Likes