TBD (Temporary Benevolent Dictator)

I’m currently the benevolent dictator of SourceCred. Since our intention is that I will not be a BDFL (Benevolent Dictator for Life), I propose that I be the “TBD”, or Temporary Benevolent Dictator, instead.

Besides being clever, this communicates our expectation that as we develop SourceCred, we’ll develop a better governance system, and replace the TBD with a more limited executive.

3 Likes

THIS IS SO EXCITING!

This has always been the plan all along, but reiterating this is important. From a community contributor standpoint participating in a decentralized organization that’s “by and for the people” is very exciting. Articulating this (and the plan to get there) is super important. Very much looking forward to this transition.

Also, thank you @decentralion for leading the charge on this project. You’ve really done a great job. You’re always here and your responses are consistently great. I’m so glad you’re building SourceCred, the protocol and the community :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shhh!!! We mustn’t let his ego get too big!

I like it. It’s a sort of ulysses pact.

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it, and will deliberately not like your post, lest I create a flattery incentive :wink:

Their ego, please. :slight_smile:

Haaaaa…working on they!

I’d like to post an update here that the TBD role is officially dissolved. (In practice, I haven’t been operating as TBD since much earlier this year, around ~February, but it seems like a good idea to make this legible and official via a post on this thread.)

Any powers that were formally associated with the TBD, such as making changes to Cred or Grain policy, or controlling our shared servers and infrastructure, have been transferred to the Core governance group. In keeping with this, I’ve given ownership or adminship of all SourceCred properties (including our GitHub, Twitter, Discourse, Discord, and domain registration) to other members of Core.

I no longer have any special powers or authorities within SourceCred, and am just another community member. In practice, I’ve been taking some space from the project, and expect I will continue to do so. I wish the community all the best, and much success to come.

2 Likes