RFC: change Initiatives plugin to be file-based instead of Discourse-based

Sigh…

@burrrata, let me first say that I really value your opinions here. The fact that you’re so passionate and knowledgeable about decentralized governance, web3, social issues, etc., and have relevant experience, is rare and valuable. I’m also noticing a disturbing pattern here. Where you write long posts voicing strong opinions, sometimes challenging decisions that have already been made, which then triggers strong emotional responses from other people. These then turn into these long conversations that demand a lot of time, attention and emotional labor from other contributors. We’re a small, bandwidth-limited team. We have been talking about these issues for months now. We’re all generally well aligned in our values, and have agreed that at this stage it is necessary to have @decentralion be a TBD (Temporary Benevolent Dictator) so they can make decisions and move the project forward. You yourself have referenced this post dozens of times. @decentralion has also spent a ton of time gathering feedback and ideas from the community (including yourself), allowed contributors (including yourself) to shape decisions, and has communicated as clearly as possible their vision and future plans (including changing the weights to give developers more cred). It has also been conveyed that this necessarily involves pivoting, which will be emotionally volatile. We don’t have the bandwidth for resolving lots of disputes. To your credit, you are displaying some emotional intelligence in your comments (moreso than most people I work with for sure), but you are a) challenging decisions that have been made, and b) using wording that is going to trigger people, especially in an asynchronous virtual environment (‘it’s a road to ruin’, ‘just own it’, ‘I think you’re reading into this’, etc.). I would actually love to have debates like this in the voice chat. I love that shit. But this posting on Discourse, causing all of this labor for other people, is not working.

I was planning on working on a docs initiative this morning. Instead I’ve spent most of my morning thinking about this and composing this response. Weighting my words so as to not upset people further. But I’m going to be blunt. I don’t have time for this. I’ve spent far too much of my life (I’m probably older than all of you), surrounding myself with intelligent, passionate, creative people (artists, entrepreneurs, etc.) that didn’t. build. anything. Because they sat around fighting over something that only existed in their imaginations, having big philosophical debates. As much as I believe in the potential of SourceCred to address issues in decentralized governance, on-chain UI architecture, deep structural problems in society, etc. (why I’m here!), we’re not going to solve them here arguing instead of building. We’re building a tool for communities can use to address those problems (including ourselves). We’re a small team that now needs to execute. It is widely understood, even by the most decentralized projects, that you have to start out centralized. We’ve already put a ton of time into thinking about this. The theme of the next community call decentralization. That IMO (and other voice channels) is a much more appropriate, productive channel for these conversations.

Last night, I saw that you had posted after being away for a few days. I was hesitant to :heart: it tbh. Not because I don’t like you personally (I do). But because I was acutely aware of recent Discourse drama. But I did it anyway, because I think you have a ton to offer the project. But if I have to spend any more mornings writing posts like this, I’ll be honest, I’ll probably not want to collaborate moving forward.

I don’t think this has to be so dramatic (and hope I’m not just adding fuel to the fire). But I think we’re all value aligned here! I think we have an awesome, inspiring leader that listens more than most. We have a solid plan. Let’s just fucking do this! I realize maybe this may come off as harsh. Maybe I myself need to do some more emotional labor here. But I say this because I want to collaborate more with you @burrrata , not less. Just my 2 satoshis.

4 Likes