[DRAFT] SourceCred and the Quest to Outcompete Capitalism

I agree with this, but it’s also a bit tricky. I think of SourceCred as being (like money,) an intersubjective construct. It’s an attempt to measure the value that people provide in a way that is less centralized, more open to community input, more transparent, and more accountable. If it succeeds in these things, I think it will also be fairer than any of our existing systems. (Or, to be more precise: it will be fairer than other systems which are also capable of scaling to large groups of people.)

Where I get a bit hung up is, “fairness” is subjective rather than intersubjective. If a community decides on the cred, that is the cred. But if a community decides that I’m being treated fairly, and I think it’s super unfair, then in my experience it is unfair. And it’s a given that in any cred instance operating at scale, some people will feel they are being treated unfairly.

So that’s why I’m a little reticent to describe SourceCred as “fair”, even though I basically agree with your point. Perhaps I’m splitting hairs to an unnecessary degree here.

2 Likes