Reimagining Popularity

I don’t have the attention span to get fancy and C&P Faruk’s points but there are so many good ones.

The purpose of SourceCred is for everyone to be popular. For everyone to contribute. And for everyone to be noticed for their contributions.

People are worried about “introverts” which i think means people are worried about anyone who feels uncomfortable posting about what they’re doing or have done. That, is, VALID. It’s scary to be witnessed or seen and that’s why we’re diving into Emergent Strategy.

This is why we need to actively work on both straight-forward *Crediquette trainings and more touchy-feely value trainings as a part of our onboarding experience (piloted and written with veterans of the community) to engage Contributors with the explicit differences between value of Contribution vs value of a Person (see @LB’s response to my post Snapshot of a Newbie here) with the purpose of de-programming folks around 1) emoji reacting like they do on social media platforms (part of Crediquette training) and 2) not see themselves as a whole the sum of their contributions alone. this is where our mental health experts in the community will shine.

And how to do value their contribution for running these trainings? If we have weekly workshops how do we didathing and props those trianings without feelings bogged down or bored with the grind of writing about our accomplishments?

Well, maybe we can have people who like writing what others have done fill the role of writing props for people who have dedicated weekly tasks - like running a training or having a one-on-one - if that thing is not or can’t be on Discord.

Okay I’ll stop here. But these are a few of the upcoming projects I’m generating, some of which will address the beautiful points made above, with the hopes of operationalizing this knowledge and value system within our community as we expand.

2 Likes