SourceCred and DAOs: A Sketch

Dandelion,

First, this is awesome. I love SourceCred and often joke (not joke) with Colin and Juan that I think SourceCred could be the best protocol to come out of Protocol Labs.

For me, the missing keystone to DAOs and decentralized coordination generally, is reputation-weighted peer-review. We aren’t going anywhere if we can’t filter and evolve our DAO teams based on performance. The importance of this can’t be overstated

I agree that we can do better than the top down corporate structure with binary participation (your in or your out). However, if a group of people want to get something serious and challenging done, it can’t necessarily be open to all and rewards/recognition as well as credibility can’t be totally egalitarian. For example, Ray Dalio talks a lot about “believability factor” for taking in people’s opinions for making a group decision.

So we MUST get reputation-weighted peer-review right in order to get decentralized coordination right. Otherwise DAOs will be limited in what they can achieve and we hope they can actually be a means of teams achieving amazing results (which requires coordination, not merely top-down direction). The ability to have recognition and subsequent credibility be based on meritocratic algorithms is sooo incredibly powerful. It also allows for pseudo-anonymous participation because people can build reputation without tying it to their ‘brand’ to the work since it is strictly based on results from that account.

Generally, I’m very excited for the possibility that DAOs transcend the binary nature of corporations today - where it’s either strictly for-profit or strictly a charity. DAOs may seek sustainability in its cash flow and capital base, but be entirely mission drive beyond that and I am optimistic we will see very passionate teams self-organize towards goals larger than themselves and their pocketbook, but not require patronage or external favours to survive and continue to deliver on the mission.

Finally Grain is incredibly important and thoughtful piece of the puzzle. Where other decentralized coordination platforms have driven towards a common currency, Grain allows you to be paid in the currency relevant to the given individual project. If I’m working every day in Project X, I want the Xcoin, not some other platform’s asset.

We’re very excited to dive deep into integrating SourceCred into the DA0.

5 Likes