The SourceCred Ecosystem Today

Hello! Interim Ecosystems Lead here:

This week, I had the opportunity to talk to someone who hadn’t been back to check on the SourceCred community for quite a while. The last time he was around, SourceCred had just begun the Credsperiment and there were still only hints of other communities interested in using SourceCred to rewards its contributors.

2020 has seen a flurry of activity within the SourceCred ecosystem:

• the SC community itself has grown, with the creation of dedicated Lead positions happily siphoning responsibilities from our Temporary Benevolent Dictator
  • SC has distributed over $700,000 to 40+ contributors with no significant setbacks
  • Interest from other open source communities has grown, and several have taken the steps to either “Credsperiment” or go all-in and use SC

I wanted to take the time to share here on Discourse who those other communities are, how they are currently using SourceCred, and any important historical information. Please do add extra context in the comments if I’m missing something. Hopefully we can keep adding to this list together as we grow more!

1Hive (September 2020 - present)

• using Github, Discord, and Discourse plug-ins
  • distributing up to between $30,000 and $60,000 a week in Honey
  • amount is high due to sudden rise in Honey price, but should be going down
  • 1Hive agreed initially to a 5% flow back to SourceCred, and subsequently to a 10% flow back to SourceCred in order to guarantee more SourceCred dev mindshare
  • check out the “Pollen” channel on the 1Hive discord to join the conversation
  • @befitsandpiper is our keystone community member

Maker (July 2020 - Present)

• the Maker Foundation is trialing the Discourse plug-in to distribute $2500 a week on its forums
  • an initial 3 month trial was extended for 3 more months. The next milestone will be a MIP (Maker governance proposal) that will be voted on by MKR token holders formalizing SourceCred’s role in rewarding contributors directly from the Maker protocol, rather than from the Maker Foundation
  • this arrangement did not follow our “5% tithing model”, rather the 3 month trial received a $15,000 grant from the Maker Foundation for personnel and engineering costs on SourceCred’s side
  • check out the Maker forum for discussions about using SourceCred and weekly updates
  • @s_ben is our keystone community member

Metagame (February 2020 - Present)

• our first externally maintained SourceCred instance
  • Metagame has started flowing Cred and SEEDs back to SourceCred as of late September 2020. This is retroactive dating back to the first SourceCred/Metagame interactions in February’s CredCon 2020 of lore.
  • 5% tithing model
  • SourceCred has 490 seeds (worth around $7** atm) and is currently the 5th highest ranked contributor to Metagame
  • using Github, Discord, and Discourse plug-ins
  • check out the Metagame topic on SourceCred’s Discord, or the Metagame Discord to join the conversation
  • @META_DREAMER is our keystone community member

Shenanigan (June 2020 - Present)

• using Github and Discord plug-ins
  • week 2 of distributing 20,000 PRTCLE** to its 90+ community members
  • @youngkidwarrior is our keystone community member

Please feel free to add details, context, questions, thoughts, love, etc.

**: PRTCLE and SEEDs have liquidity issues making the true value of the tokens flowed back to SourceCred hard to determine

5 Likes

A couple tweaks:

• 20,000 PRTCLE a week, ~ $10,000 at current prices

• We just nearly doubled our distribution to 92 member today!

You can check out the PRTCLE pool here http://she.energy/swap

And the SC Explorer here

Thank you for this write up @panchomiguel I’m excited to talk about some of the feedback ive gotten about SC from the perspective of using it for a fair token launch

Woah, that’s a lot of growth. I think I got those numbers from you less than a week ago haha You’re distributing 20,000 PRTCLE weekly then?

Also, it seems like you first started using SourceCred back in June, but didn’t start distributing PRTLE until a few weeks ago, is that correct?

Edited the post; down to talk this week :+1:

@youngkidwarrior thanks for the information

An update from Metagame / @META_DREAMER has been added to the first post:

-Metagame has started flowing Cred and SEEDs back to SourceCred as of late September 2020. This is retroactive dating back to the first SourceCred/Metagame interactions in February’s CredCon 2020 of lore.

-5% tithing model

-SourceCred has 490 seeds (worth around $7 atm) and is currently the 5th highest ranked contributor to Metagame

1 Like

A further requested tweak: can you update to mention that there is only ~$4k liquidity for those looking to sell PRTCLE?

Saying “~$10,000 a week at current prices” is a bit misleading to potential contributors. Happy to remove this comment if more liquidity comes in! Just think we should be careful not to give unrealistic expectations to contributors new to SourceCred.

1 Like

Added asterisks to Metagame and Shenanigan’s Cred flows, indicating the liquidity problems

Hi all. Love the vibe here and trying to catch on.

I have a verified BrightID now. How do I connect this - and my blockhain address - to SourceCred/1Hive/Maker/Metagame/Shenanigan now please?