DAO Drops proposed distribution

UPDATE

Check reply below for final numbers, which were tweaked from initial proposal below due to community feedback!

Initial proposal

Below is a proposed distribution for the 3,056 DAI SourceCred received as part of the DAO Drops retroactive funding round.

This proposal is a refinement of the initial results I posted on Discord, which were generally well-received. I’ve tweaked the scores to reflect feedback I got on recent community calls, and the scores are looking pretty good (IMHO). So I’m confident this should be OK for the amount being distributed (also people have been waiting on this :money_with_wings:, so trying to get this out ASAP :sweat_smile:). If you have any questions or concerns, please post them here!

Cred Scores and Payouts

Contributor Cred % Payout (DAI)
s-ben 567.8 25.3% 773
AL0YSI0US 519.1 23.1% 705
Marcie 360.3 16.0% 489
Alec 136.9 6.1% 186
dysbulic 128.6 5.7% 174
HartVyne 114.3 5.1% 156
benoxmo 86.1 3.8% 116
sandra 80.9 3.6% 110
hz 80.6 3.6% 110
merrick 47.4 2.1% 64
whatsinaname 45.5 2.0% 61
marsrobertson 43.6 1.9% 58
AbuUsama 8.1 0.4% 12
finitechris 7.2 0.3% 9
UrbanChange-Jack 6.9 0.3% 9
Hero-Gamer 6.7 0.3% 9
youngkidwarrior 4.8 0.2% 6
Del 2.4 0.1% 3

Methodology

It’s been ~1yr since the last official payout (May 24th, 2022). Since peeps have been contributing without pay since then, I counted contributions since the last payout.

Algorithm weights

Long story short, I ended up using just the Initiatives plugin for this distribution. I was able to get both CredRank and Credequate algorithms up and running [1]. However, the scores were a bit too wonky to be usable…I tried tweaking the weights several times, but was not getting satisfactory results. Eventually I ran out of time (I know some have been waiting on this :money_with_wings: (including myself)! I also suspect there were some issues I just don’t have the time or resources to address before this distribution goes out, namely: a) there’s been significantly less activity on the platforms (discord/discourse/github) since the org shut down ~1yr ago and payouts stopped, 2) those around have been doing less emoji’ing (presumably a result of less active users + financial incentive gone), and 3) it appears that the discourse plugin isn’t catching all the messages [2].

Because most contributions in the last year have been in meetings, I went ahead and just created Initiatives for every Community Call and Playtime meeting in the #meeting-notes channel. I also created Initiatives for the remaining general categories, which we’ve discussed a bit in recent community calls:

• Community moderation: moderating SC Discord, Discourse admin, user support, basic onboarding, etc.
  • Development: Maintaining and developing SC codebase, observable notebooks, experimental features, answering questions in #tech-support, etc.
  • Community general: catchall for general support of the community, including answering Qs on Discord, non-Discord admin, social and emotional labor, etc.

This gave surprisingly good results (IMHO). After posting some initial results on Discord, and getting some feedback on community calls, I tweaked the Initiative weights (Cred minted per Initiative, contributor weights per Initiative) until converging on the scores proposed. The table below shows the Cred minted for each category of Initiative.

Initiative % Cred Cred per category
Community calls (total) 31.86% 360
Playtimes (total) 16.81% 190
Community moderation 13.27% 150
Community general support 11.50% 130
Development 17.70% 200
Grants 8.85% 100

The full list of Initiatives can be found here,

I used version 0.2.0 of the Initiative plugin, which allows you to specify an arbitrary weight for each contributor on each Initiative.

Each Community Call Initiative mints the same amount of Cred as all other Community Calls. Playtime Initiatives also all have the same Cred. If a facilitator is tagged in a Community Call or Playtime, they automatically receive %30 of the Cred for that Initiative, with the remaining Cred split equally among all participants. See [3] for an example Community Call Initiative.

For the remaining Initiatives (Community moderation, Community general support, Development, Grants) I just assigned weights attempting to express community sentiment from conversations we’ve had.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know!

Appendix

[1] repos: s-ben/sourcecred_cred (CredRank), s-ben/sourcecred_credequate (CredEquate).

[2] While I Am Not A Developer (IANAD), it appears there have been several major upgrades to the Discord API. The API version we were coding on was recently depricated (it was still running in addition to the new API version until a couple months ago when they shut it off apparently). This might have caused us to lose threads/replies (a large % of the messages in the past year, as a lot of the activity was support work replying to Qs…). Again, IANAD, and this is just a theory. But in any case Discord scores seem off enough there is likely some unaddressed maintenance issue :confused:

[3] Here’s an example Community Call Initiative, for the Community Call held on 8/22/2022.

Note that if there’s a facilitator tagged, that person gets 30% of the total Cred minted for the Initiative. The remaining Cred is then distributed equally between the participants (which includes the facilitator, as they are also participating).

[
    {
        "type": "sourcecred/initiativeFile",
        "version": "0.2.0"
    },
    {
        "title": "Community call 20220525",
        "timestampIso": "2023-05-01T22:01:57.733Z",
        "weight": {
            "incomplete": 13.8,
            "complete": 13.8
        },
        "completed": true,
        "contributions": {
            "entries": [
                {
                    "title": "al0ysi0us facilitate",
                    "weight": 4.14,
                    "contributors": [
                        "@al0ysi0us"
                    ]
                },
                {
                    "title": "al0ysi0us participate",
                    "weight": 2.415,
                        "@al0ysi0us"
                    ]
                },
                {
                    "title": "marcie participated ",
                        "@marcie"
                    ]
                },
                {
                    "title": "s-ben participate",
                        "@s-ben"
                    ]
                },
                {
                    "title": "AbuUsama participate",
                        "@AbuUsama"
                    ]
                }
            ]
        }
    }
]

Updated Proposal

Based on feedback from the community call yesterday and discord, have made some tweaks. Namely, peeps that have been around and more active in recent months felt that their contributions were being undervalued, and that a year lookback was too long. I agree. Without people sticking around these last few months, we wouldn’t be here. And some peeps from a year ago don’t seem as interested in the reward; one has already opted out of the distribution and asked for their DAI to be redistributed.

Have tweaked the weights to favor more active contributors in recent months by increasing the Cred minted to Community Calls and Playtimes for meetings that happened in 2023 (last ~5 mo) (where most of the contributions and community-building happened). Also tweaked the general contribution Initiative a bit to boost contributions not picked up by the algorithm.

Cred Scores and Payouts

Description Cred % Payout
s-ben 890.0 25.9% 792
AL0YSI0US 864.7 25.2% 770
Marcie 768.2 22.4% 685
Alec 161.4 4.7% 143
HartVyne 155.1 4.5% 138
dysbulic 132.4 3.9% 119
sandra 101.2 2.9% 89
hz 95.3 2.8% 86
benoxmo 89.1 2.6% 79
merrick 71.4 2.1% 64
whatsinaname 26.9 0.8% 24
marsrobertson 20.1 0.6% 18
AbuUsama 12.6 0.4% 12
finitechris 11.5 0.3% 9
UrbanChange-Jack 11.2 0.3% 9
Hero-Gamer 10.8 0.3% 9
youngkidwarrior 7.6 0.2% 6
Del 3.5 0.1% 3

Please let me know if you have questions or concerns!

Opt-In

As per past airdrops, contributors need to opt in! For tax or legal reasons, some contributors may not want the liability. This also gives peeps the ability to opt out if they want to give their DAI to other contributors who may need it more.

If you want to participate in the distribution, put a :eyes: emoji on the Discord post below in the #grants channel,

And post the ETH address you want the payout to go to, or DM to me (s_ben) if you’re not comfortable posting publicly. If you don’t opt in by next Wed (5/17), your DAI will be redistributed to opted in contributors.

1 Like