Dissecting Large Initiatives and Their Cred Weights

Recently we had a Team Call (3/12/20) discussing how to value, organize, and manually record the irl contributions/initiatives of CredCon. In this topic I explore visually one way I envision of breaking down the parts of a very large initiative such as CredCon so that it is easier for us to evaluate it’s pieces and value. This is meant as something you evaluate after the event/initiative has concluded or is in action.

In the photo below you’ll see a few different aspects, those are:

• Title - the name of the initiative.
  • Valuable Results - the results of the initiative which we as a community really valued. This category allows us all to assess and agree on what we’re going to say was worthwhile and credworthy. This could be focused on results, values, or goals to (probably) varying cred-effects.
  • Contributions Earning Cred - these are the efforts/work done during the initiative. Contributions may have nested or “down flow” contributions (i.e.: Food Contribution: Shopping, Cooking, Cleaning, etc)

The Values/Results/Goals section is more a measure of what we find valuable.

The Contributions section is more a measure of what actually happened.

In the example image below, each Contribution is marked with a color that corresponds to the value/goal/result it positively impacted.

This visual color coding helps me see a few things:

• Contributions that added to many Values/Goals/Results should be given high weights because they’ve significantly improved the Initiatives success.
  • If a Contribution isn’t marked with the color of any of the Goals/Results listed under the initiative, then we can conclude that either: the Contribution wasn’t very impactful -OR- if the Contribution was obviously valuable then there is a Value/Result/Goal for this Initiative that hasn’t been identified yet.
  • If an identified Value/Result/Goal’s color isn’t added to any of the Contributions, then we’re probably missing some larger Contributions -OR- we did not actually achieve that Value/Result/Goal.

If this were a process that were easily accessible (say, though a UX/UI), then it could potentially be used to: record past Initiatives/Projects/Events, plan future Initiatives/Projects/Events, and/or to actively track Initiatives/Projects/Events whole they’re happening.

It can also be interesting to add edges between the Contributions to see how they impact each other like we often do when mapping out contributions of all types. Though this topic is more concentrated on the way values and actions intersect.

I think using visual tools like this as we work through manual cred attribution could be helpful in both aligning our community goals/values around different projects (good for decentralized governance, and community consensus/organization) as well as making it more obvious/objective which Contributions should get what weight (and what types of action are actually useful or not for future reference).

Anyway, I’m a visual bean and this is something I’ve done for my own personal life so it makes sense that these are my musings as I begin to grasp the cred graph and how it shapes us/we shape it. Curious and open to the thoughts others have.

Dependency:

Reference:

1 Like