Cred/Grain Dynamics

I think the fact that you enjoyed synthesizing data as part of your process is really useful actually. One thing I keep coming back to is the potential of SourceCred to value work that people just feel like doing. Because often, like with your recap thread, people do end up doing work that isn’t glamorous, just because they know it’s valuable. And those contributions, in aggregate, are often enough. Open source is taking over, it seems, in spite of not having enough traditional documentation. It just needs enough to get the job done. There’s also often degeneracy. Not in the bad sense of the word, but in the sense that it has redundancies. There are multiple paths to the same information, in different formats (thread, GitHub README, blog, video, etc.). What is important is just that the path to understanding is robust and not too painful.

That said, someone making a concerted effort to put it all together in useful, more complete docs, is also clearly valuable. This is where something like Champions would be useful. I would brainstorm more about how to collaborate here, but actually am getting pulled into my normal tech writing gig here, which is going to keep me very busy for the next couple weeks. Between that and the podcast (which I’m championing), should probably not commit to any more right now. But going to be chewing on issue in the meantime.

2 Likes