Discord Channel Reorganization Proposal [CLOSED]

Current Proposal: (v.3)

Feedback received from community:

• The “Updates” channel meant to be a place for core contributors to give updates about the project would be much better not as a discord channel at all, but as our Blog function that already exists. My thoughts around this is to have a Blog Champion who at regular intervals (every week? Every month? whatever we decide together) collects information about the activity and goals of each department/branch within SC, the overall milestones we want to celebrate, the large picture goals set for the project (ie beta.1) and writes a basic update for the community that is published as a blog post on our website. Tl;dr: nixing the Updates channel in favor of actually using our blog function.
  • The “Task Ticker” channel is something where discord may not actually be the right tool. Unfortunately, unlike the blog/updates situation above, we don’t have a good tool already built for implementing a task ticker. For now, this may just need to fall onto the shoulders of Ambassadors, but I’d really like help from the community to find or build a tool that can help our community find out what kinds of tasks they can take on.
  • Additional channel suggestions:
    • An overall “Plugins” channel
    • Feature Requests
    • Feedback
    • Art/Design/UI
    • Learning
  • Strategy/Implementation is not the right category vocabulary for what we’re trying to delineate.
  • “Support” channel should be moved to the Community Category
  • The “documentation” and “programming” channels should move to the Development (aka Implementation) category
  • We want emojis! (you don’t get them until we decide on our final version, so there’s some incentive for ya :wink: )

The categories and channels:

• Getting Started: Where new folks can land and be guided into the community.

• Sign Post/Read Me - a fixed channel with a welcome and links to our most useful resources about SC. Would include major resources like: Joining Our Community (masterguide with stuff like how to join the community call and get an ambassador etc), Basic Concepts (definitions of grain and cred), How Cred Flows (the social and mechanical norms of using the :sourcecred: emoji on our platforms etc), the SourceCred Blog, and a generic link to our website.
    • Introduce Yourself - has a few pinned questions for new contributors to answer about themselves as an intro to the community. Existing community members should make an effort to say hello. This channel at least tides us over until we have a “contributor profile” interface.
  • Community: The general social channels we use to interact, chill, and establish social norms.

• General - here you can chat about anything SourceCred related. Not sure where to share your question or comment? Give it a try here!
    • Feedback - where community members can give any kind of feedback about their experience with SourceCred
    • Call Chat - whenever there is a call happening in the voice channels, you can look here to see the corresponding text conversation.
    • Support - where anyone can go to ask a question or get clarity, about any topic, regardless of their experience level with SC.
    • Props - give a shout out when someone else does work that has really aided or impacted you. Especially if the algorithm is likely to miss the contribution. Use a :sourcecred: emoji if you see a props you agree was valuable!
    • Didathing - give yourself some recognition when you complete important work you’re proud of, or that the community should know about. Especially if it’s a contribution the algorithm would likely miss. Use a :sourcecred: emoji if you see contributions from others that you’re especially grateful for.
    • Random Chit-Chat - talk about whatever you want to! Get to know the other folks in your community on a personal level.
    • Inspiration(Links) - share links to anything that may inspire, support, or fascinate our community as we work on SourceCred.
    • Learning - Share your tips, tricks, and tools! Ask about better ways to do what you’re doing, and get wisdom from the community.
    • Social Media - bump your tweets! Share your shares! Highlight SourceCred mentioned in the wild. See what the wider world is saying about our project!
  • Discussion: For high-level, direction-oriented conversation about each of the major concepts that make up SourceCred.

• Governance - discuss, dream, and plan the ways you’d like to see SourceCred govern itself.
    • Community Cultivation - strategize, collaborate, and communicate on topics regarding how we can cultivate a healthy community, establishing social norms, and how we can bring others into our teams effectively.
    • Cryptoeconomics - theorize and strategize on how SourceCred can integrate crypto, math, and economics most effectively as we design a new paradigm
    • Organization - efforts to design and identify the efficient and high-velocity systems/tools which could support our community as we strive to communicate and work together.
    • Philosophy - Talk about the different philosophies that inform the way we design, use, and think about SourceCred
  • Development: Channels that facilitate the actions that moves SC forward.

• Programming- chat about plugins, PR’s, ideas, and implementation.
    • Plugins - a place to discuss the work that goes into making plugins for SourceCred.
    • Documentation - Suggest docs ideas, make docs requests, collaborate on docs topics.
    • Design/UI - A place for art, design, data visualization, creating the SourceCred User Interface, and more.
    • Review Requests - where anyone can broadcast their need for feedback/review regarding their current task/quest/initiative/project.
    • Feature Requests - where folks using sourcecred for their own communities can request features they’d like to see, and our programmers can get back to them.
    • Beta.1 Milestone - a space to specifically discuss projects, efforts, ideas, and goals reached in the pursuit of completing the SourceCred Beta.1 milestone.
  • Partnerships/CoCommunities: a little home for our co-communities within the larger home of SourceCred. A place they can shill and vibe, but also somewhere that draws members from these communities into the domain of SourceCred.

• MetaGame
    • AraCred
    • MakerDAO
  • Voice Channels: Audio channels

• Main
    • Side Room
    • Water Cooler
    • Game Room
  • Archive: All the expired or retired channels (hidden under voice)

OLDER PROPOSAL (v.2) (See v.3 above)

Please share your thoughts regarding category structure, channel names/purposes, adding or removing specific channels, or anything else that feels important to the reorganization of our discord. Does this feel like the right organization overall? Is anything missing or repetitive? I feel that I’m circling the final design now, so if you have no big-picture suggestions/questions then feel free to share your #nit.

This proposed discord structure is designed to meet the needs we currently have, and leaves some space to grow or add channels if we find the need.

Thanks for taking the time to review friends!

The new proposed categories and their nested channels based on community feedback:

• Getting Started: Where new folks can land and be guided into the community.

• Sign Post/Read Me - a fixed channel with a welcome and links to our most useful resources about SC.
    • Introduce Yourself - has a few pinned questions for new contributors to answer about themselves as an intro to the community. Existing community members should make an effort to say hello. This channel at least tides us over until we have a “contributor profile” interface.
    • SourceCred Updates/Announcements - provides an ongoing timeline of goals and milestones, as well as celebrating when those are completed. No discussion, only updates.
    • Task Ticker - (may require some work to create and therefore be implemented later) a running list of open tasks that people could come explore and potentially follow up on. Ideally, folks in the community could emoji upvote tasks/quests/initiatives they think are important/high velocity/urgent.
  • Community: The general social channels we use to interact, chill, and establish social norms.

• General - here you can chat about anything SourceCred related. Not sure where to share your question or comment? Give it a try here!
    • Call Chat - whenever there is a call happening in the voice channels, you can look here to see the corresponding text conversation.
    • Props - give a shout out when someone else does work that has really aided or impacted you. Especially if the algorithm is likely to miss the contribution. Use a :sourcecred: emoji if you see a props you agree was valuable!
    • Didathing - give yourself some recognition when you complete important work you’re proud of, or that the community should know about. Especially if it’s a contribution the algorithm would likely miss. Use a :sourcecred: emoji if you see contributions from others that you’re especially grateful for.
    • Random Chit-Chat - talk about whatever you want to! Get to know the other folks in your community on a personal level.
    • Inspiration(Links) - share links to anything that may inspire, support, or fascinate our community as we work on SourceCred.
    • Social Media - bump your tweets! Share your shares! Highlight SourceCred being mentioned in the wild. See what the wider world is saying about our project!
  • Strategy: For high-level, direction-oriented conversation about each of the major concepts that make up SourceCred.

• Governance - discuss, dream, and plan the ways you’d like to see SourceCred govern itself.
    • Programming- orient, plan, and dialogue about the coding efforts that are building SourceCred’s infrastructure.
    • Outreach/Community Cultivation - strategize, collaborate, and communicate on topics regarding how we can cultivate a healthy community and how we can bring others into our teams effectively.
    • Documentation - cohesively directing efforts to create clear documentation and guides on the varied topics that make up SourceCred.
    • Cryptoeconomics - theorize and strategize on how SourceCred can integrate crypto, math, and economics most effectively as we design a new paradigm.
    • Organization - efforts to design and identify the efficient and high-velocity systems/tools which could support our community as we strive to communicate and work together.
  • Implementation: Channels that facilitate the actions that move SC forward.

• Support - where anyone can go to ask a question or get clarity, about any topic, regardless of their experience level with SC.
    • Review Requests - where anyone can broadcast their need for feedback/review regarding their current task/quest/initiative/project.
    • Beta.1 Milestone - a space to specifically discuss projects, efforts, ideas, and goals reached in the pursuit of completing the SourceCred Beta.1 milestone.
  • Partnerships/CoCommunities: a little home for our co-communities within the larger home of SourceCred. A place they can shill and vibe, but also somewhere that draws members from these communities into the domain of SourceCred.

• MetaGame
    • AraCred
    • MakerDAO
  • Voice Channels: Audio channels

• Main
    • Side Room
    • Water Cooler
  • Archive: All the expired or retired channels (hidden under voice)

OLDER VERSION: (see v.2 above for current proposal)

Description:

This is a proposal for a new Discord Channel structure. It includes new categories to help folks parse which channel they’re looking for. Some channels are the same as they currently are, some have their name changed slightly to make them easier to understand at a glance, some are totally new, others removed. Any channel that isn’t listed below would become archived and not useable any longer. The channels below are listed in the order I’d have them appear in discord. This list/proposal is meant to reflect where our community is at currently (May 2020), and doesn’t account for a few ways I know we’ll grow. Channels can be added in the future as we need them.

These changes and any feedback gathered in the next two days will be discussed at the next Team Call on 5/7 (and potentially again at the Community Call 5/12 if needed/desired).

Please look over these proposed channels and give your feedback in the comments. I’d specifically like to hear if you: don’t see a channel you need, see channels you thing shouldn’t exist, or need a channel you don’t see listed. In any feedback/suggestions, please explain why you’re proposing the change that you are. Some channels listed below ask specifically for some feedback/thoughts.

• Start Here

• Introduce Yourself - a channel for new folks to dip their toes in and feel welcomed by the existing community
    • SourceCred Updates - a channel that can’t be added to, but gives updates on the milestones, direction, and changes in the overall project.
    • Call Chat - the new channel for any active meeting in the voice channels
    • Get Involved! - a place where newbs can connect with ambassadors/community members and identify where they can get started in their realm of interest
  • Community

• General - feedback requested: what makes the general channel different from a random chit chat channel? what makes it important?
    • Random Chit-Chat - Kinda like the water cooler channel
    • Props - a channel for giving a shout out to someone if their work really impacted you, or might go unnoticed by the algorithm
    • Didathing - a channel to announce your work or achievements in the project, especially if they may get missed by the algorithm
    • Inspiration/Links - feedback requested: how do you use the links channel and what is its purpose in your eyes?
  • Development

• Implementation - feedback requested: do we need multiple specific implementation channels?
    • Dev Support - a channel for hackers to ask questions and get support from other hackers in the project
    • Dev Review Requests - request reviews for your PRs etc.
  • Cultivation

• Outreach/Cultivation Discussion - General discussion about outreach and community cultivation goals, ideas, polls, and inspirations. For the team and the community.
    • Communication Organization - channel for discussing things like discord/discourse reorg or other ways we want to organize our community via our communication tools
    • Governance Discussion - channel for discussion around governance ideas, inspiration, questions, and polls
    • Social Media - a place to discuss social media tactics, and share when you bump SC on social media
  • Documentation

• Docs Discussion/Ideas - a general channel for discussing documentation practices, ideas/requests for docs, etc.
    • Docs Review Requests - request a review for your docs work
  • Partnerships

• Partnerships Discussion - a place to discuss our specific partner communities and best practices with partner communities in general.
    • Feature/Plugin Requests - a channel for partner communities to request features they’d like to have when using SourceCred in their community
    • Partnership Support/Help - a place for partner communities to get support as they begin using SourceCred
  • Active Projects

• Beta.1 - a channel to discuss everything and anything related to meeting our beta.1 goal this summer.
4 Likes

Lots of good ideas! Some feedback:

The general channel, in most Discords I’ve been in (and it’s nearly always there), is general conversation minus socializing. Random (the most common name for it, though you’ll see other labels occasionally), is often high velocity, and too “noisy” to be useful for someone just reading up on the project. It’s for real-time socializing in the community, which is important I think to have a catchall for. Would recommend against removing general, just because it’s enough of a convention people will be expecting it.

Having two separate review channels seems like creating an unnecessary new channel, which could lead to clutter? I see both dev and docs review requests in the current review-request channel, which I think is working well. Curious to hear if anyone else was confused or had other issues around it though. I’ve not seen review request channels in any of my other discords, and I think it’s a really good idea. I like this general channel idea a lot.

I use this channel and like the idea. I suppose there could be another channel where it makes sense to drop links into though if we want to clear up space. Links is clear and kinda neat IMO. Inspiration gets the same message across (assuming that doesn’t filter out non-inspirational links we want to keep), and I like the ring of it :slight_smile:

I’ve been confused this whole time what ‘cultivation’ meant. Cultivation of content? Of community? Something else? Outreach is more straightforward I think, though narrows the scope.

Wondering if this could be done in other channels? Don’t want to create any unnecessary channels.

Just a side note that I think we could be using this a lot more. If you just dump any SourceCred-related tweets here, for instance, just a couple people :heart:ing it, shows it to people in their feed…which keeps it going…great way to get organic engagement in our “backyard”.

It feels a little off having all partnerships in one place? I may be wrong about that, but having separate channels for each partnership is more conceptually clean to me.

Also, in case it slipped through the cracks, I did like the idea of hiding the #Archived section below the voice channels, as MetaGame does it, to clear up valuable real estate.

All opinions are lightly held!

1 Like

maybe 2 standards questions for the presentation to help & structure the “landing” in the community. Ideas :

• A current project/thing you’re excited about?
  • What skills would you like to share as a potential contribution?
  • Any information related to sourcecred you’d like to know?

I would put this as an only-read channel where monthly (or some time frame)

• tasks or things to do are displayed.

• a call to upvote on the suggestions/feedback of others in the dedicated chanel

Don’t know how to make this smooth but a “read-only with upvote” channel that sums up all the suggestions made by communities…so you can scroll, give priorities to gather a community consensus on things to be done. Suggestions need to be then posted somewehere (?!)

The connections with ambassadors/community could happen in the “Introduce Yourself” : more activity to see and a good start for welcoming / interacting with newbs

that’s a place where you can ask for redirection. A place that has also the most exposure to the community

good vibe here :stuck_out_tongue: “In the get started” channel, maybe we could put a task to “like” in discord (&twitter) a post liked or interesting…learn/engage by doing

sidenote: a set of quick actions done (à la Metagame), called XX (Cred1?), could lead to X cred so that you have your name displayed in the board once the retribution is actualized … the idea here is more about seeing the system feedback (being displayed as a contributor) in a Xweeks time frame than the amount earned.

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into this, and checking in for feedback :]

This is me thinking out loud. All up for debate!

Sounds cool! I think it would be great if we can make this a bi-directional thing. So people who are new can come in and ask “where do I start?”. But we can also use it as a place to broadcast good-first-issue tasks.

Consider a channel for a fixed message too. Like #readme with links to the site, forums, code of conduct, current roadmap, when the community call is, etc.

Since this is a noisy channel with no context if you’re not listening to the call, I wouldn’t recommend anyone to “start here”. So I think it might fit better in another category?

General is important because it’s OK to be in “the wrong channel” here. For example, if you’re really looking to ask a #support question, but posted it here. That’s OK. If you’re introducing yourself here instead of #intros, that’s OK. Adding links to possibly related events instead of #links or #outreach, that’s OK.

This saves a lot of hassle for people who are new and/or unsure about the channels.

It’s different from #random because random is a free-for-all. You can be off-topic, talking about games and cat videos that have absolutely nothing to do with SourceCred. #general should still be related to SourceCred.

I use #links as “hey I think people here might be interested in…” loosely SourceCred related things on the internet.

Yes I think so. Especially because “development == programming” is a stigma I’d like to break.

Development is a creative and multi-disciplinary team effort. In my opinion Docs technically belong here. Design and art technically belong here. All review requests belong here. Planning / roadmap / beta.1 belongs here. (Yes, programming is also creative, more than it is engineering)

Which makes #implementation a bit unfortunate imo as well. Because it’s not just programming that “implements” something. Right now I’d say this channel would more accurately be #programming or #software. And could probably be split up as it’s pretty active. But I think if there were more than 3 channels for programming it’s definitely too granular and should probably be offloaded to GitHub more. For now I’d stick with just 1, and rename it to see how the reorg works. Then reconsider splitting this.

By contrast I think #support does not belong here and fits better with Community, right next to #general for example. Because support is not a creative process, it’s more reactive and about helping others succeed.

Imo these should be merged into the Development category.

I think the channels here seem to imply partners have certain privileges they don’t actually have as far as I’m concerned. Like VIP support or being able to fast-track new features. Unless they’re explicitly paying for such support, this is more the exception than the rule.

Feels like we can get 2 birds in one stone here by just having a channel per partner as @s_ben suggested. Then we can use this for a lot of fun things :smiley:. Like allowing those partners to shill their own project milestones in our discord. To update our community how cooperating with them has progressed. Broadcasting some todo’s / follow up for these partnerships. Partner specific support chatter. Sharing feedback and musings about how to improve the collaboration, etc.

Seeing how there’s also “Governance” and “Communication Organization” here. It feels like this category is about the meta / organizational level of our community. What about calling this “Organization” and including outreach, governance, credsperiment updates, cred issues, suggest improvements, … and group them that way?

1 Like

Thoughts on v2:

Once we turn on the initiatives plugin, we’ll want to also explain how cred flow works on our Discord (e.g. the specialness of the :sourcecred: reaction).

We could also consider doing intros on Discourse – the benefit being much better discoverability long-term. E.g. what MetaGame is doing: https://forum.metagame.wtf/t/who-are-you-really/142

That said, I see real benefits to using Discord b.c. of the faster feedback and engagement.

For me, the “strategy/implementation” dichotomy doesn’t feel right. E.g. I imagine the #programming channel being mostly used for chatter about current pull requests, random technical questions, etc – doesn’t feel very strategic.

How about we split it as “Community” and “Project”? Then we can combine the strategy and implementation as basically being the stuff that’s involved in working on the project.

Also, it’d be fun to have an emoji for each channel, like MetaGame does:

Overall, looks pretty good to me.

1 Like

Agreed with @decentralion Strategy/Implementation don’t seem right to me.

Seems good to me. Though “Development” in the broad sense feels more apt to me, “Project” works to avoid it’s confusion. Adding all the channels currently under implementation and strategy to “Project”, except for one.

Support here feels like the odd one out. All the other channels are mostly interesting for contributors. While support is for anyone, probably even prioritizing users over contributors. Going by audience I’d like to see it with the Community category. :smiley:

1 Like

I think the other valuable channels in this section would be channels specific to each plugin, as well as a channel for “user-interface” discussion. Another nice one to have would be a “learning” channel where we can post technical tools / resources / articles / apps etc, just so the technical stuff is separate from the “Inspiration/links” in the community category.

Additionally, some of the channels in the “Strategy” category probably also belong here. The way I see them is that Strategy is more about “planning/thinking/ideating” while Implementation is more about “building/doing/creating”. Writing docs belongs in the latter IMO, while discussions on governance, crypto economics, cultivation, etc are moreso in the former.

Should call this channel “shill”!

1 Like

Okay, I’ve had some trouble interpreting the feedback thus far for v.2, so I’m going to do my best to summarize and will wait for y’all to confirm or clarify. What I’m hearing is that @decentralion and @Beanow would like to change the overall structure, but are fairly happy with the channels listed? That you’d prefer there to be fewer categories overall, that the category titles of “Strategy” and “Implementation” don’t feel like the right words, and you want to combine those two categories into one larger category with a different name.

Instead of having the categories of:

• Getting Started
  • Community
  • Strategy
  • Implementation
  • CoCommunities
  • Voice Channels
  • Archive

You’d prefer:

• Getting Started
  • Community
  • Something else that combines all the channels from Strategy and Implementation
  • CoCommunities
  • Voice Channels
  • Archive

I’m personally quite fond of the separation between; discussion about ideas and goals, and putting things into action (though I’m not attached to the category names of “strategy” and “implementation” at all). However, my goal is to design a system that works well for the entire community.

Some questions I have:

1. Regardless of the names “strategy”/“implementation”, why do you feel that these two categories should be merged? Is it that this not a useful distinction, or is it just not the right conceptual distinction?
  2. What would you name this combined category so that it’s clear to anyone (new, techie, non techie, sc core team, whomever) exactly what it’s purpose is?
  3. Reflect on how you would want to categorize the proposed channels, and put forward your complete list of which categories you’d use if you were making these changes.

I’d also be super curious to hear opinions from people working on different parts of the project so we get a wide range of perspectives.

This makes a lot of sense to me! I like the additional channel recommendations, and could see the Docs and Programming channels potentially migrating to the Implementation category.

This is definitely what I was trying to communicate in terms of overall vibe for these categories.

I think we’ll probably want to set those norms regardless, and should include them in our basic docs that everyone puts their eyes on at first.

While Discourse has more permanence, it also is higher friction to navigate. My onboarding work has made it pretty clear that Discord has been and is becoming our primary first point of entry into the community. I think that if we eventually have a Contributor Profile interface (which I dearly want now that I’ve heard Hammad talk about it :grin:), people won’t mind filling those out once they are available even if they’ve already introduced themselves on discord in the past. I see it as pretty valuable to have a super low-friction (almost easier to do it than not to) way for new folks to start talking to people already in the community.

1 Like

My main critique is that moving channels like “programming” and “docs” under strategy doesn’t suit my existing use patterns on Discord. A lot of the convo in “implementation” (which I’ve been using like a “programming” channel) is chatter about specific stuff I’m hacking on, not strategy. It feels like the v2 organization doesn’t have any space for that. So if we want to keep a distinct strategy/implementation space, would we have a “strategy/programming” channel and an “implementation/programming” channel? This feels like it’d be clunky. A simpler alternative might be to have a single “strategy” channel that spans across domains, but maybe that would get too noisy.

We could also consider directing strategic discussions towards Discourse rather than Discord–since strategy tends to be long-term, it’s nice to have it in a medium that makes it easy to reference after the fact.

What about @META_DREAMER’s suggestion of simply moving channels that don’t actually do much overall strategizing like “Programming” and “Documentation” into the Implementation Category where it seems they better belong? It seems like a shame to scrap an entire category of communication because some of the channels don’t belong there.

I agree that this would get too noisy. I personally would find it frustrating to sort through cryptoeconomics stuff to be able to strategize about community development.

That’s an interesting point, and I think there’s a super fine (but useful) line on the gradient of permanent-fast paced. I see it as a three part gradient from: Docs - Discourse - Discord. Each of which have their own distinct purpose.

I still think it would be useful to have a place where people could have conversations and throw ideas/opinions/perspectives around, share resources, or draw attention to their recent thoughts (like the Onboarding Machine thing I posted today) about a specific domain in the way discord allows us to do.

I imagine there would likely be many moments where a great idea is unearthed in the discord conversation, and as a social norm we would encourage folks to flesh those ideas out more fully on Discourse so that we can start truly bringing them to the whole community’s attention.

1 Like

@META_DREAMER and our other programmers, do you think it would be better to:

• A. Make one channel for Plugins in general
  • B. Make a separate channel for each plugin, and keep adding channels as we keep making plugins (perhaps giving plugin channels their own category if it gets too overrun as time goes on).
  • C. Let that happen in Programming
  • D. Something else entirely

What I’m missing is a more generic space. I think that strategy / implementation makes the channels too specific. Instead I would love to see channels that have an “all things programming” and “all things documentation” feeling to them. As long as the name makes sense and communicates that, that’s what matters I think.

What I’m hoping to avoid is causing people to worry about whether you’re off-topic or not, or having to break the ice in a quiet channel (in case channels are split too granular).

Which leads into:

These are all fun topics to talk about, so it’s great to accommodate them. But to create 7 additional channels for this (5 plugins, UI, learning) is excessive in my opinion. At least with the current size of the community.

I’m happy with current usage patterns for that:

• general / support, for questions about plugins.
  • general / programming, for writing plugins.
  • general / design / programming, for UI.
  • links / random / programming, for tech links.

Tech links I could imagine a channel for if people want to share more of them, and others are bothered by the amount. But with the current amount of links I’m not seeing any issues.

2 Likes

Yea a channel for each plugin might be too much, I like the idea of having a “plugins” channel for all that discussion.

Here’s another source of inspiration for something that might make sense:

We can add some more channels like docs. I agree with @decentralion’s comment about moving deeper strategy discussion into the forums, so in that sense it might be fine to have a single “strategy” channel. Having a “feature requests” channel would also fill in some gaps for discussion on future things.

I also like the idea of having a “feedback” channel as a space for people to know they are welcome to give criticisms / feedback etc

1 Like
  • For Introduce yourself, is it possible to have pinned questions? I thought they always got lost in the thread.
  • Who can use SourceCred Updates/Announcements? New members with goals? Or only goals decided by the community?
  • Task Ticker - Would the upvoting of tasks/quests/initiatives be different than boosting?
  • Call Chat - Would there only be one? I feel like once the community grows, that might be overwhelming/easy to lose things in the thread. May be a null point right now, as we’re currently smaller-scale. Perhaps we have a call chat for each recurring call we have, as we have currently for the community call and team call?
  • The Props and Didathing sections here could include a link to the questions/answers note we’re currently working on :slight_smile:
  • Review Requests - Maybe there could be a pinned post (if that’s possible) to how to request a review on GitHub, or where to request a review at all. I can imagine a lot of requests getting lost in the thread without anyone reviewing, or people just taking a couple days to review and the requester wondering if they should post again or give it time.
  • One #nit thing, in the Partnerships section, “A place where they can chill and vibe…” Unless shill is a term I just don’t know, very possible!
    @LB This looks great, seriously. It’s obvious how much thought you put into this. Thanks for doing all this work and I’m excited to see what becomes of it!
2 Likes

I recently found out that it is possible to pin a channel description at the top so that it doesn’t get lost which I DEFINITELY got unreasonably excited about.

My thought was that only a few people who have the full picture of the project, or perhaps the leads of each project branch. My vision is a place where accurate and bigger picture perspective can be communicated. TBH though, I’m not really sure how to implement this idea. It could end up being on our Blog (on the website) instead which frankly might be a better place for it? I just know we need a place to update the community at large and folks who are just joining the project.

This is another case where I’m not sure whether Discord is the best platform. I just know it would be great to have a tool that lets you peruse through the active tasks in the project. Not sure if boosting would be integrated with that tool (whatever it ends up being), but since boosting isn’t operational yet I don’t think we need to worry to hard about that yet.

My thought behind having only one is that there’s usually only one meeting happening at a time. And in my experience at least, I’m only looking at the call chat channels when I’m actively in a call. If we did end up needing more call channels, I’d probably make a call channel for each voice channel (general, side room, game room, etc) instead of for each reoccurring call (like community call and team call) since I already see it being difficult for our new members. And I’d place them all in their own little category sitting right above the voice channels so it’s super easy to find them when you’re in a voice call.

That could be nice for now, we could add the links to the pinned channel description. Though eventually we’ll want it to be a link to an actual guide with clear answers. But putting up our questions could be good for now.

Again the “how to use github” could definitely be a full guide of ours which is linked to the pinned channel description. We could even have a whole “Review Culture” guide section on our website which talks about the different practical how-tos, but also the social norms around proposing things and reviewing them? Though that may be tough because the review request channel is for all kinds of reviews from docs to code.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether reviews are currently getting missed or skipped over? I think we’d only need a backup if that’s an issue.

“Shill” means to like, sell your thing. To talk about it and try and get other people excited about it and engaged with it. It’s a big thing that people in the opensource and crypto worlds do. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback! Def some great questions to make me think.

1 Like