This is a proposal to reorganize the Discourse SourceCred forum, with the intent to improve its clarity of purpose and value for the SC community.
What is the problem?
Currently, our discourse.sourcecred.io forum is unstructured and, to be blunt, a bit of a chaotic mess. Conversely, I really enjoy the clean structure of the Obsidian Forum, which also runs on Discourse. This proposal is partly inspired by their cleanliness and organization.
What is this proposal’s mission?
To have a clean, accessible and powerful forum where regular users and new explorers of SourceCred alike can intuitively do the following:
- discover and find the information they’re curious about;
- propose and submit whatever they want to contribute;
- receive the support or answers they are in need of.
What does success look like with this proposal?
For activity and engagement on our Discourse to increase, and the quality of engagements to improve — not that it’s currently bad, but we have lots of great ideas in the pipeline for making it even better, but we lack a clear structure to implement them in.
What is the strategy for success?
The current SC Discourse forum has no clean category design. This proposal aims to change that, so that we have a set of titles with (one-line to small paragraph) descriptions that clearly explain each area. Each category then acts as a sub-forum, which can have its own sticky posts at the top to help guide newcomers to the goals and purposes of that particular category.
- Create the final set of categories, starting with the proposed list below and updating with community feedback, improvements, and changes.
- Reorganize all topics per the new structure
- Remove or redesign the existing dozen tags (optional, but preferred)
@KuraFire will have to do a bunch of research on Discourse theme-ing to adjust it to match this proposal.
Proposal: to match Obsidian’s layout:
- Title + description on the left, vertically stacked and left-aligned
- Topics activity counts in the middle, right-aligned (how many / week, new)
- Latest three (3) threads with updates on the right, vertically stacked
Proposed titles and descriptions for the Discourse landing page:
AnnouncementsOfficial SourceCred announcements
Community CareLearn how we cultivate our thriving, supportive, and highly collaborative community, and see our templates to use for your own project or organization.
OpportunitiesContribute to SourceCred via any of the open and ongoing opportunities, and earn Cred!
ShowcaseAre you using SourceCred in your community? Have you done or made something SourceCred-related you want to share? Show us here!
Proposals (& Feature Requests?)Suggest new features, opportunities, or any other ideas relevant to SourceCred.
FAQFrequently Asked Questions are answered here.
Book ClubRead books with us about better ways to do community design, governance, economics, and societal stewardship.
Tech SupportGet help from the community with your SourceCred instance, report bugs, or request clarifications on the particulars of how SC works (algorithms, crypto tokens, etc).
The thinking behind these Category choices
Self-evident: all important updates regarding SourceCred. Top of forum. - Limitation: only Discourse Admins can post in here.
All discussions about how we manage the community, what we do, ideas for this aspect (that are not as sophisticated or comprehensive as Proposals). Made as second category to signal that we care deeply about and prioritize community care & cultivation, and encourage that way of thinking in anyone who explores SC.
An open forum for people to post opportunities that others can contribute to, or complete. Precursor to boosting functionality. Can coexist or incorporate Boosting listings once boosting functionality comes into the picture.
- Example: “Make some SourceCred visual art” — invites artists to create art for SC in some way.
- Example: “Help write and illustrate an accessible introduction to SourceCred” — collaborative way to create a visually-enhanced intro to SC.
- Example: “SourceCred memes thread!” — a big thread for making memes and coordinating a social media push, for instance.
This is like a
didathingfor the larger SC community (MetaGame, 1Hive, etc.) as well as a showcase for any other thing people do or create that’s related to SourceCred. (think @LB’s visual art, @s_ben’s bar chart race, etc.)
- Note: Not saying that all such things should move from Discord to this forum, just making it an area for it that makes the Discourse a more fun adventure to explore.
Proposals (& Feature Requests?)
For all proposed ideas, changes, features, really anything that we want to do. We can have a sticky Proposal Template post that people can use so that they are given a clear structure explaining how to write a proposal.
- Question: Should Feature Requests be explicitly included in the title?
Rather than trying to organize a website FAQ that will grow and evolve constantly and require a lot of maintenance, we could have this forum and link to it from the main website documentation. Or, have both and keep only the most essential questions on the website with our official (and legally safe) answers, and keep this as a community-powered FAQ.
- Possible limitation? Only certain trust levels can post in here?
Suggested by @topocount; this would be a great place for people to discuss books relevant to reimagining society and building towards a harmonious future.
Self-evident: get help with technical things. This could also have a Sticky post that explains how to participate on Github (be it contributing or otherwise).
The heart emojis are used to represent color suggestions, which show up as a thick line on the left of a category.
We may want to use a different order to put more contrasting colors next to each other, to make it more scannable.