Looking for feedback on scope.
This initiative is to save time and make it easier to maintain a SourceCred instance.
Running a SourceCred instance involves an increasing amount of moving parts and frustrations.
- Somewhat confusing configuration.
- Manually updated json ledgers, Observable notebooks and wikis for Grain distributions.
- Slow “likes” mirroring in Discourse.
- Maintaining a global blacklist for GitHub API quirks.
- Manually triggering updates.
- …and so on.
We can summarize those pain points as these areas to improve on:
- Simplify configuration and CLI.
- Automate / reduce instance maintainer tasks.
- Nice to haves, further improving maintainer experience.
Once the main deliverables are implemented, we’ll create a versioned release to share these improvements.
Simplify configuration and CLI:
- Write a design doc on a new configuration and CLI scheme.
- Implement the new config and CLI spec as part of the instance system.
Automate / reduce instance maintainer tasks:
- First-class support for Grain and Grain distributions.
- Display Grain ledger information in the frontend (i.e. no longer requiring Observable notebooks).
- Use GitHub (repositories, actions, pages) features to create an integrated maintainer workflow.
- Create a GitHub action to update instances.
- Cover recurring tasks (update cred, distribute/transfer grain, add identity, clear cache, update blacklist…).
- GraphQL Mirror fidelity awareness - Removes the maintainer task of having to update blacklists.