Summary of planning chat

+1 to what William said.

my 2c: the repository refactoring described here makes sense to me as a long term outcome (long term being >6 months in the future). For now, I don’t think there’s any urgent need to pull things out of sourcecred/sourcecred; in the case of sourcecred/payouts, I think by far the most efficient path is to simply collapse all the payout logic into sourcecred/payouts.

I do want to make it possible to depend on the code outside of sourcecred/sourcecred, i.e. make it possible to import (say) the Graph module, or logic for TimelineCred. This would be most valuable for Cred Analysis Notebooks. It would also enable a more robust interface/implementation for sourcecred/widgets. But achieving this doesn’t require changing the repository structure.

I think there are 3 “scopes” of SourceCred we can think about:

• Scope 0: Only SourceCred uses SourceCred.
    • (where we are now)
    • APIs, interfaces, and workflows can be very messy
    • can break compat whenever
  • Scope 1: Other projects use SourceCred, mostly “off the shelf”
    • projects are turning on SourceCred instances that are very similar to our own usage: GitHub, possibly Discourse, Cred+Grain, etc
    • we need the SourceCred Instance System for usability
    • plugin interfaces are not mature, all plugins come from core
    • shouldn’t break compat on workflows, can break compat on interfaces
  • Scope 2: SourceCred as a protocol
    • Other projects are extensively using SourceCred APIs, possibly in ways that are fairly different from how SourceCred is dogfooding
    • Consumers are developing plugins for their own use case that are not expected to merge upstream
    • shouldn’t break backcompat on workflows or interfaces

The repository refactoring to improve / enforce the ability to add new plugins is something we only need at scope 2. However, even getting to scope 1 is months away, and going to multi-repo doesn’t help at all within Scope 1. So we should hold off engaging in multi-repo work until we are well into Scope 1.

1 Like