Cred Analysis Notebooks
Status: help wanted
Occasionally new types of Notebooks are created, but there’s room for a lot more. Additionally it’s a great starting point for new contributors. Please give a shoutout if you’d like to help.
None atm. It would be very helpful if a Champion could oversee the quality, organization and prioritized wishlist of Notebooks.
However, I believe we’ve only scratched the surface of what we could do with notebooks. We could use them to build whole new explorations or deep dives into SourceCred scores themselves. Here are a few concrete examples:
Person<->Person cred flow analysis: For each user in SourceCred, run SourceCred treating that person as the “seed node”. See how the cred distributes across other users. This will show which people are collaborating and endorsing each other, and whether some people are acting as “cred sinks” or “cred black holes”.
Initiative-scoped cred: For a given initiative, treat that initiative as a seed, and see who has cred in the initiative.
Reverse-initiative scoped cred: For any given person, back out which initiatives give them cred.
We will be able to iterate on and share SourceCred research and analysis dramatically faster. Right now, our iteration cycle is constrained by updating the core SourceCred codebase (slow and expensive). We can move R&D iteration into notebooks (fast and cheap).
- Once we make it possible to depend on the SourceCred core from notebooks (see below), we should be able to start experimenting and making these notebooks.
- Use the needs of Notebook to flesh out a library as we go. Having utility functions, sourcecred core abstractions, etc.
Estimated Work (hours):
Probably a day per notebook. 1-2 weeks to create a versatile library as the basis for experimentation.
- Related to (co-enables?) Proposal: Web of Cred
- Statistics about collaboration vs “lone wolfs” - Positive Cred Velocity
- Personal view for Payouts (bank statement style) - CredSperiment Week 3 Distribution
- Initial port of payout code - sourcecred/payouts#1
- Payout notebooks - SourceCred Contributor Payouts
- Cred Voting Power Experiment - Separation of Powers + Checks and Balances
- Score interpretation experiment - Interpreting scores (widgets)
- Before/after Notebook for manual bounties - sourcecred/cred#4 (comment)