This is my proposal for a Statement of Values for SourceCred.
Our mission, vision, and values align us. We work in a decentralized manner. In order to get things done, we need to make sure we’re moving in broadly the same direction and with coherence. This post focuses on our values, but I’ll be posting more about our mission and vision soon.
These values are going to be presented as part of the Values Town Hall on October 29th, 2021. For even more values, check out this amazing Miro board that @saintmedusa put together, which we’ll be using to decide on and ratify our values. For more info about that Town Hall (and other related Town Halls,) check out @saintmedusa’s discourse post.
Lots of work has gone into defining our mission, vision, and values at SourceCred. @lotusleaf compiled most of the values listed here (as well as many mission and vision statements) into this document. The values came from a bunch of different places.
- Many of these values come from conversations last autumn, including:
- Some of them came from the Values portion of the 2021 Retreat, led by @joiecousins (who also lead all the above discussions).
- Others came from posts and conversations from all around Discourse and Discord.
My proposal is an attempt to refine what @lotusleaf compiled.
Values are principles we work to embody. These principles guide our actions & interactions. Our value statement lists the core principles that direct SourceCred & its culture.
- There’s a difference between embedded values (the values we build into our product) and community values (the things that we, as a community, value). Some will carry over; some won’t. I’m aiming for umbrella values that overlap both categories.
- This is an attempt to define our values, not to figure out how we are living (or can live) them. I propose we work on the question of implementation sometime soon.
- Integrity - Transparency - Trust - Empathy - Compassion - Leaderful Action - Accountability - Innovation - Collaboration - Decentralization - Self-Sovereignty - Autonomy - Combined Labor & Ownership / Anti-alienation from one’s work - Fairness - Equity - Liberation - Health & Wellbeing - Community-First - Impact - Friendship - Human Coordination - Shadow work - Consent
I propose 6 core values: trust, compassion, self-sovereignty, collaboration, liberation, and decentralization. I have also included sub-values that I believe follow from the core values, but which require special notice. Also, the definitions / value statements I’ve written feel to me like starting points. I’d love more thoughts.
Trust: We value both practicing trust in others (within reason) and proving ourselves worthy of trust.
- Transparency: We value being open & honest about our actions & ideas.
- Integrity: We value working in alignment with stated moral code.
- Accountability: We value being responsible for our actions and their impact.
Compassion: We recognize that we all have struggles, pain, hardship, and blindspots, and that we’re all trying hard to survive and thrive.
- Well-being > Profit: We prioritize human health and well-being over profit. This includes but is not limited to: physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual health.
Self-Sovereignty: We value each person’s right to be the only one with final say over what they do or believe.
- Consent: We recognize each other’s self-sovereignty and make space for choice.
- Leaderful initiative: We value having many leaders, not one (or none). Everyone chooses what projects they work on. Anyone can start a project.
- Self-awareness: We value being aware of ourselves, including but not limited to our feelings, thoughts, blindspots, hurts, privileges, and strengths. We don’t expect anyone to be perfectly self-aware, but we do ask one another to turn towards themselves, even when it’s hard or they don’t like what they see.
- Equity: We recognize that due to many life factors (especially but not limited to marginalization), not everyone starts on the same footing. We value giving people what they want and need to succeed and live well.