The Product Circle was assembled over many months and dismantled overnight. I am the sole remaining member of the Circle, with Thena having broken off with amrr to do heads-down development. My role as a product owner has often been difficult to place, but Thena – who works closely with me, holds context, and is my housemate – saw it and that’s why they invited me to join Product Circle membership. It was sudden that the circle dissolved and all promises with it. With it though, has gone any context for my work with SourceCred. So allow me to build some for you here!
What it means right now to be a product owner without a circle is that I continue to negotiate partnerships that began dialogue months ago (Stacks), hold knowledge of the product and experiment over time (1 year+), am a growing technologist (understanding of the technical aspects of the product), and additionally am trusted with and show up for crucial treasury acrobatics.
I will be continuing to hold space on Fridays (or perhaps a new designated time TBD) for devs to gather (in place of Product Circle), for the product circle bylaws to be studied, and for other potential emerging projects related to the product and junior devs.
As you all know, SourceCred community depends on deep relating and connection in order to be seen and recognized in our shared work. Well, my relationships at SourceCred are almost invisible now and so is my work! It’s tough, because I have to be patient not to inundate the community with the information and documents that I hold and have been holding for a long time, but, the truth is, I love this project and this community and I’m still here (some of you notice, I see I’m being given new value-aligned roles [I see you]). I’m still deeply committed to this emerging product. I’m holding many threads that I feel passionate about. I’m willing to show up for the project and for you as new treasurers and (re)emerging technologists.
But what I’m about to do is scary and new. Treasury duties specifically, are historically the highest stress and lowest recognition, reward, and transparency within SourceCred. We did a lot to dismantle this with the emergence of the multisig, the comms channel, and numerous pinned posts. Historically, rewarding treasury has been particularly obscure (top-down negotiations done off-screen awarding contributors directly from Protocol Labs on a stipend, for example), with the labor often unseen and difficult to reward by the algorithm, but also not well understood or explained by a didathing (how to explain on-call for emergency airdrop? or a 3hr conversation with a person in need of emergency aid?). Not to mention the mundane-ness of it and the many barriers folks have to onboarding or talking about finances/money/blockchain tech sometimes for their first time with others. But what I mean to do here is to set a precedent and ask for my labor be rewarded explicitly in the coming months, in the short term, as I continue to work and hold these high-value threads.
I will add that it hasn’t been a choice to be out-of-relationship with the new emerging SourceCred community. Besides needing to take space from the server and re-aligning my relationships in the new year, the emerging SourceCred calendar since returning from break has been in direct conflict with my other SourceCred related ecosystems and product work. Dropping in randomly has felt more like a burden than an aid in the recent weeks, but that’s all I could muster with a calendar that didn’t consider my needs, so I have mostly been absent.
- Stacks Partnership & $100k expedited grant
- Managing Stacks partnership expectations including PR, milestones, comms, and roadmap
- Continued, dependable, collective-driven multisig actions
- Continued management of the ongoing tithes & comms
- Continued management of the incoming tokens that may be put toward a matching grant by PL (TBD)
- Delivery of Gnosis Chain (formerly known as xDAI) multisig pending community approval
- Provide one-on-one support for new treasurer onboarding
- Provide support for a token launch, should the community decide to focus on one [I have a grain pool draft ready when and if the community arrives at this place]
$3,000 per 2 weeks for a total of 8 weeks (or $12,000 total). If I discontinue any of my treasury or partnership responsibilities before 8 weeks is up, the remaining budget will be ceded back to the community.
- The dollar amounts solely reflect my stated need
- Seth is the other Treasurer! I have not forgotten him! Seth and my needs are different and in some ways divergent. We also have different positionalities in SourceCred and different relationships to the work we do (for instance, I LOVE treasury/numbers/accounting work). I have had his blessing in going forward with my own proposal for the things that I do and track in SoureCred.
- This is an amount I ask in response to being an on-call active treasurer in addition to the above
- Two week disbursements were chosen to align with [Thena’s proposal] (Proposal: Budget for heads-down development)
- I hope folks will consider this a precedent for asking for what they need to sustain themselves as individuals and/or working teams as well
Edit: A couple clarifications below:
This original post (above) was not intended as an exit plan at the time but as a short term proposal for compensation for unseen responsibilities.
If I could I would add to the Considerations section that all the items listed in the Goals section are things I already do or am tracking the need for that I was trying to bring attention to, not additional responsibilities.